UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> Kid sold me a bad motor

9/4/08 2:26 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Diaz 3:16
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I was swapping a DOHC motor into my 89 240sx, had some wierd problems with wiring, brought it to the shop to get started. They fixed the wiring, its all good as of last night.

So the guy who runs the shop calls me just now, says the block is either cracked or its got a blown head gasket.

Oil is milky as fuck and its overheating really fast.

Kid told me everything was perfect, it was a clean 100k motor. Shit was never outside at my house, either in the car or the garage. I never put water in the motor till last week, never ran it without coolant, etc.

I found this all out just now, but bought the motor at the beginning of last summer, cant track the kid down online, do I have the right to go beat down his door and ask for dough? I still remember where he lives
9/4/08 2:29 PM
sol manila
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you got bamboozled
9/4/08 2:30 PM
john76
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

mechanic may have brokded it
9/4/08 2:33 PM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

No way they broke it. I trust these gentleman. They are 240 masters.

Im fuckin heated right now, I tracked down another motor but I mean WHAT HTE FUCK, now I have to deal with a motor swap session.

I mean only bright side is I now have a spare block to build. And no money to spend on drugs.
9/4/08 2:34 PM

Edited: 09/04/08 2:35 PM
I pulled the plugs they looked fine, couldnt comp test it, I only have those small 45 degree compression testers and this motor has those recessed plugs.

edit- tyhe kid was well known and posted on all the local nissan boards at the time, thought I could trust him.

my god this immaturity and faith in other human beings.
9/4/08 2:37 PM
BIGWHITESEXY
901 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

AND  BY "MOTOR" YOU MEAN "UNDERAGE GIRL"
9/4/08 2:39 PM
Ramon Maroni

Always check the oil and antifreeze when buying used engines, best way to tell if head is cracked
9/4/08 2:39 PM
Ramon Maroni

Edited: 09/04/08 2:39 PM
and BTW kill the fucker
9/4/08 2:42 PM
jacob360

KA-T?
9/4/08 2:47 PM

Jacob, NA for the summer, but now that I have a spare block, I will be building one this winter.

I already found a new block for free, from an s14, I guess Ill just use my top end, but WHAT THE FUCK MAN, I am so mad at myself and that no good cunt, "nismoplsr"
9/4/08 2:56 PM
balloon knotter
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'd say you had a case you didn't buy it more than a year ago.

who knows what you did to it in a year. not to say you did anything, but who knows, not the seller.

i'd tell you too bad if i was him and it was more than a year later.
9/4/08 3:07 PM
sepe

I've never bought a used motor without hearing it run. Shouldn't have trusted a fast and furious wanna be douche. I'm on some mazda boards and most of the younger people there are fuckwads even if they try to seem like you can trust them. Seen quite a few scams over turbos and shit. Dude buys shit and waits to put it on the car. Thing is a piece of shit and kid is gone.

9/4/08 3:18 PM

BK- no doubt, if some guy came back months later and did what I want to I would tell him to screw.

Sepe, word, first time I have done this and I am a tard.

Adam, you got pm

OK, the shop called back, presurized the radiator and it held it. Comp test wasnt perfect, but satisfactory.

I think since this kid had the motor outside, that some water got into the cam cover vent, and just got the top end a little rusty, im going to bring it home, run it for like 5 min, change oil, do it again, see how I make out.
9/4/08 3:37 PM
Luncha Libre
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a a car just like that.
When it was new.
20 fucking years ago.

Get a job and a decent car you fucking loser.
9/4/08 3:49 PM

if youre gonna come at me like that at least come correct bitch.
9/4/08 3:51 PM
Luncha Libre
786 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can come at you anyhow I want. Not like I live within walking distance of your house.
9/4/08 3:52 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The installer may have gotten a bubble in the cooling system.

I've done work to tons of 240sx cars as a nissan tech. and routinely saw experienced techs fill the system and walk away to come back to a car geysering like old faithful.

If they didn't tilt the front of the car up, loosen the air relief plug, as well as turn the heater lever to full hot with the fan on at least one step (to ensure heter valve opening)...........then the installer could have caused this.

I go one step further by running the car for at least a minute if not two and then shut it down to let conduction do it's thing and restart.

If I don't see coolant flow through the radiator cap, after a couple more minutes, I again shut it off and wait go clean up.

Usually upon restart you will see a large amount of air and coolant flow right away.

If you just leave it running, conduction of the block won't open the thermostat in the case of an air bubble and a tech will be fooled into thinking it's time to put the cap on and test drive the car.

It then overheats big time from localized overheating which then pops the head gasket regardless of the fact that the coolant temp gauge reads low or OK.
9/4/08 4:49 PM
RomeoAGoGo

be a man and swap an LS1 into that bitch
9/4/08 6:41 PM
nogidavid
81 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a 20 year old car you've run for a year, and you're pissed at the guy who sold it you?

a QUALITY used car form a garage here would come with at very best 12 months warranty.

sometimes you just gotta say shit happens, even though it hurts
9/4/08 8:00 PM

This is just for fun. Not like its that big of a deal, just take some more bucks.

Its at a dedicated 240 shop, so im not worried about an error on their behalf.

Thanks for that info ponyboy.
9/4/08 8:51 PM
trainhater

I have a KA24DE if you're interested and you're in the sf bay area. I'm doing an SR20DET swap.
9/10/08 9:34 AM

Edited: 09/10/08 9:38 AM
Ok, so I got the bitch at my house, not much water in the oil at all, good compression, I think its fine, changed the oil and flushed the radiator, im good I think.

Ponyboy, got a couple questions about my high idle. Crazy high, like 1500-1800. My tach is busted too, needle moves really slowly, wont ahve a new cluster for a week though.

all of the vac lines on the throttle body are closed off, welded shut by the previous owner. IACV tube is the only one I have coming off my intake tube. no leaks on the big line that runs to the valve. No check engine light. Should I just pump seafoam or carb cleaner into the idle valve? and also through the big line on the brake booster?

edit- 91 KA24DE
9/11/08 10:58 AM

top for ponyboy

zilvia.net/f/tech-talk/190745-irregular-idle-fix-kade.html
9/18/08 1:18 PM
Ponyboy
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sweet.........I was the guy who found the sensor ground issue in 1994 while working at nissan.

In my case it was the sensor ground for the mass air flow sensor which would cause the Ka24 to flood it's plugs from time to time.
9/18/08 2:09 PM

Pony, check back tonight if you can, I havent touched the car this week, I will update tonight or tommorow morning.

Thanks bro.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.