UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Matt question about learning in general?

9/5/08 9:16 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acid jazz
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt,

Do you think the I method can applied to learning in general and not just martial arts skills?

I tend to be too theoretical in my approach to life and I have been trying to get more efficient in my approach to learning and pondering things.

I know this probably comes off a bit vague, but I was wondering if you have any opinions on using the I method in life or any comments about learning in life.
9/5/08 2:18 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Absolutley. I have had a lot of corespondence over the years with teachers of various topics, from math to languages, all of whom use 'I' method and similiar teaching methedology.
9/5/08 2:41 PM
ams
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just curious, did you come up with the "I" metod yourself? Also, how could it be applied in for exampel math or languages?
9/5/08 8:34 PM
Matt Thornton
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It's a description we use that explains a very common learning process. It can be applied in a myriad of ways, but the basic three step model fits perfectly with language immersion (as one example).

www.straightblastgym.com
9/5/08 8:34 PM
Matt Thornton

It's a description we use that explains a very common learning process. It can be applied in a myriad of ways, but the basic three step model fits perfectly with language immersion (as one example).

www.straightblastgym.com
9/8/08 8:05 AM
acid jazz
92 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt,

Sounds good. I am going to experiment with it in some areas outside martial arts.

Do you still read Krishnamurti's stuff? Any othere books/readings you recommend for improving the thought process?

Thanks for your time.
9/8/08 10:15 AM
Matt Thornton

I'll always be a Krishnamurti fan. As far as books go, one I like is called 'teaching as a subversive activity', it was published in 1969 and includes several really good ideas.
9/13/08 11:30 AM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/13/08 11:30 AM
I've used the I-Method to teach my nephew basketball for about two years.

This summer he was the best player and starting point guard on an eight grade all star team playing teams from all over the NW.

He was in seventh grade...
10/24/08 12:33 PM
acid jazz

Jacob Lamb - I've used the I-Method to teach my nephew basketball for about two years.

This summer he was the best player and starting point guard on an eight grade all star team playing teams from all over the NW.

He was in seventh grade...

That's awesome!!!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.