UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Who should I vote for? Convince me.

9/6/08 7:24 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
The Horror
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here are my concerns:

1. The economy: reviving the housing industry and lowering fuel prices

2. Foreign affairs: improving how America is viewed by the rest of the world

3. Freedom: the Patriot Act was sold as being "temporary". I want the gov to take a serious look at this and other domestic spying activities and stick as close to the constitution as possible.

4. Racial realities: I'm tired of reading news stories of old women being raped to death by "inner city youths". Somebody has to address this. No area of this country should be an actual jungle.

5. Prison: too many people in prison for drug offences and non-violent crimes.

Who is the best candidate to address my issues? I'm still undecided.
9/6/08 7:25 PM
bruddahoodaman
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

stop thinking that your vote matters. it doesn't.
9/6/08 7:29 PM
The Horror

bruddahoodaman - stop thinking that your vote matters. it doesn't.
Have you forgotten Bush-Gore already? Hanging chads? Recounts?

9/6/08 7:30 PM
Dark Knight
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1. The economy: reviving the housing industry and lowering fuel prices

Liberals want to tax our way to a better economy and tax oil companies to lower gas prices.

2. Foreign affairs: improving how America is viewed by the rest of the world

Liberals want our military turned over to the United nations

3. Freedom: the Patriot Act was sold as being "temporary". I want the gov to take a serious look at this and other domestic spying activities and stick as close to the constitution as possible.

Liberals believe the constitution is a living document (google it) and want to change it (example, ban guns)

4. Racial realities: I'm tired of reading news stories of old women being raped to death by "inner city youths". Somebody has to address this. No area of this country should be an actual jungle.

Liberals believe Ban evil guns because they cause crime and give those kids a hug

5. Prison: too many people in prison for drug offences and non-violent crimes.

Liberals believe in no jail time, they are just mis-understood. And if wernt for guns there would be no crime.
Yuki

I'm voting for Joel
Yuki

I'm voting for Joel
Dark Knight
306 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That is my unbiased opinion
9/6/08 7:37 PM
Joel
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

if you want change vote for me cause I will make all of your wildest dreams come true!

and lol @ 2...when it comes to our interests we should do whats good for us irregardless of what the international community thinks about it. do you think china and russia give a shit about what we think? LOL
9/6/08 7:39 PM
Dark Knight

"Conservatives got us in this mess."

there havent been any conservatives in DC in a long, long time
9/6/08 7:40 PM
The Horror

Hey Joel, there's this thing called "Terrorism". And when people view the United States as an evil and destructive force they make it part of their goal in life to damage it. So, how the United States is viewed... not by the governments you are talking about... but by everyday citizens of other countries... is important.
9/6/08 7:41 PM
Gib
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I guess voting for a countries leader isnt worth the trouble of researching it yourself.

Better to ask the experts on the OG instead.
9/6/08 7:56 PM
Fight!

Based on your criteria you should vote for Chuck Baldwin (Constitutional party), Bob Barr (Libertarian party), or Cynthia Mckinney (Green party).
9/6/08 8:21 PM
Beninger
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well I would say that whether or not you live in a "swing" state will factor most on whether you should even vote. If you're in california and you're voting for mccain, you're just masturbating. If you're voting for Barack, it's redundant.
9/6/08 9:04 PM
bruddahoodaman
65 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The Horror - 
bruddahoodaman - stop thinking that your vote matters. it doesn't.
Have you forgotten Bush-Gore already? Hanging chads? Recounts?

ok, if you live in florida or ohio you can vote. otherwise fuckoff and stay in bed.
10/15/08 6:59 PM
Badlump

MCDONALDSFAN - Conservatives got us in this mess. Vote for Democrats

You mean Nancy Pelosi and the 110 Democrat Congress.

FAIL !!!
10/15/08 11:43 PM
lambam

The Horror,

From looking at your concerns, I think that Barack Obama and the Democrats are much closer to the concerns you raise.
This is probably why you have been told by a few here not to vote or that "Liberals" are evil.

I would say the best way is to look at what each propose rather than what the other is saying about their opponent's plan. I've heard McCain talk more about Obama's plan by distorting the truth rather than talking about his own plan.
And when McCain is not talking about Obama's plan in a dishonest way, he is making false personal attacks.

It is getting pretty petty, but don't give up. Look at what each are proposing, what their records really are, record of Democrat presidents versus Republican presidents in recent history to see which group corresponds to your values, the quality of their running mate (VP), etc.

One last thing, last I looked, there was no Liberal Party in the USA. Most Democrats can be labelled liberal, but some are not. The same goes for Republicans where most are Conservative, some have a more independent streak and many are reactionary war-mongerers and retrogrades.
However, the option between Democrats and Republicans is one of Centre-Right and Right. Even the Democrats are not very left leaning when compared to the mainstream political parties in the vast majority of advanced industrialized democracies.

Unfortunately, many conservative political commentators in the US have little understanding of left-wing policies and do not even understand the term "liberal" in its proper meaning as understood by political scientists, historians, economists, philosophers and 99% of the civilized world.
Their comments are more about sticking a false label on someone and name-calling.

I didn't quite set out to convince you, but the best is to do your research by contacting the Democratic and Republican organisations in your area. Look at their plans, websites, listen to the debates, see what independent groups have said about each rather than the spin and negativity the party gives you. Also, don't forget that unless you wish to vote strategically (e.g. voting Obama/Democrat because it is a lesser evil than McCain/Republican), there are also independents, greens, libertarians, etc. They might not win, but at least you can vote with your conscience for the candidate that's closer to what you believe in.

Unfortunately, from looking at DarkKnight's simplified distortion of facts and views, I doubt you will find much enlightenment here.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.