UnderGround Forums

PoliticalGround >> Palin = Pentecostal (tongues)

9/8/08 9:53 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bluedragon
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How one can vote for this ticket after reading this article is shocking to me.

For more than two decades, current Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin was a practicing Pentecostal.

Church member Caroline Spangler told CNN, "When the spirit comes on you, you utter things that nobody else can understand ... only God can understand what is coming out of our mouths."

Some Pentecostals from Assembly of God also believe in "faith healing" and the "end times" -- a violent upheaval that they believe will deliver Jesus Christ's second coming.

"Our basic belief is that God is God and he knows where history is going and he has a purposeful plan and within the middle of that plan we live in an environment in our world where certain events would take place," says McGraw. "Sarah wasn't taught to look for one particular sign -- a cataclysmic sign. She knew as every Christian does ... that God is sovereign and he is in control."

When asked by CNN about Palin's beliefs, campaign spokeswoman Meghan Stapleton would only say the Republican vice presidential candidate has "deep religious convictions."

Six years ago, Palin left Assembly of God to join the non-denominational Wasilla Bible Church. But the Assembly of God says she still returns for special conferences and events, such as the graduation of ministry students in June. Video of a speech she gave at the church just two months before joining the Republican ticket is making the rounds on the Internet.

Speaking of the troops in Iraq, Palin says on the video, ""Pray for our military men and women who are striving do to what is right. Also for this country, that our leaders, our national leaders, are sending them out on a task that is from God. That's what we have to make sure that we're praying for -- that there is a plan, and that plan is God's plan."

Her campaign says she doesn't mix her faith with government business. But Palin did ask her audience to pray for $30 billion natural gas pipeline she is on a mission to build in Alaska. In the video Palin says, "I think God's will has to be done in unifying people and companies to get that gas pipeline built. So pray for that ... I can do my job there in developing my natural resources. But all of that doesn't do any good if the people of Alaska's heart is not good with God."

Palin now attends the Wasilla Bible Church. She was there on August 17, just days before entering the national spotlight. David Brickner, the founder of Jews for Jesus, was a speaker. He told congregants that terrorist attacks on Israel were God's "judgment" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity. Brickner said, "Judgment is very real and we see it played out on the pages of the newspapers and on the television. When a Palestinian from East Jerusalem took a bulldozer and went plowing through a score of cars, killing numbers of people. Judgment -- you can't miss it."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/08/palin.pastor/index.html

9/14/08 8:57 PM
Hawkeyez
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/14/08 8:57 PM
Ok you must think this is normal and ok though: ...... 

Black liberation theology

This theology maintains that African Americans must be liberated from multiple forms of bondage -- social, political, economic and religious. In this new formulation, Christian theology is a theology of liberation -- "a rational study of the being of God in the world in light of the existential situation of an oppressed community, relating the forces of liberation to the essence of the gospel, which is Jesus Christ," writes Cone. Black consciousness and the black experience of oppression orient black liberation theology -- i.e., one of victimization from white oppression.Liberation by NPR This liberation involves empowerment and seeks the right of self-definition, self-affirmation and self-determination. Trinity United Church of Christ, Chicago is the one church frequently cited by press accounts, and by Cone as the best example of a church formally founded on the vision of Black liberation of theology.[1]

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright was introduced to black liberation theology at University of Chicago's Divinity School. Wright would cite the works of James Cone and Dwight Hopkins who are considered the leading theologians of this system of belief, although now there are many scholars who have contributed a great deal to the field. Wright built up Trinity United Church of Christ with a vision statement based on the theology laid out by James Cone[3][4] Asked in an interview which church most embodied his message, Cone replied "I would point to that church (Trinity) first. [5] Short clips of Wright's sermons which called for God to condemn America for its actions and credited the government for creating the AIDS virus would receive heavy criticism and became a major topic of presidential debates.

Wright claimed that criticism of his theology constituted an attack on the black church, although probably no more than a quarter of black pastors today would describe their theology as liberationist[6]. Trinity United Church of Christ is one of the few that specifically incorporates black liberation theology into its vision statement[7][8][9] The press reported that candidate Obama publicly rejected Wright, "decrying his...latest remarks as 'a bunch of rants that aren't grounded in the truth.'"[10]

On God and Jesus Christ

Cone based much of his liberationist theology on God's deliverance of Israel from Egypt in the book of Exodus. He compared the United States to Egypt, predicting that oppressed people will soon be led to a promised land. For Cone, the theme of Yahweh's concern was for "the lack of social, economic, and political justice for those who are poor and unwanted in society."[21] Cone also says that the same God is working for the oppressed blacks of the 20th century, and that "God is helping oppressed blacks and has identified with them, God Himself is spoken of as 'black'." [22]

Cone saw Christ from the aspect of oppression and liberation. Cone uses the Gospel of Luke to illustrate this point: "the blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised up, and the poor have the good news preached to them.[23]" "'In Christ,' Cone argues, 'God enters human affairs and takes sides with the oppressed. Their suffering becomes his; their despair, divine despair.'"[24]

Cone's view is that Jesus was black, which he felt was a very important view of black people to see. "It's very important because you've got a lot of white images of Christ. In reality, Christ was not white, not European. That's important to the psychic and to the spiritual consciousness of black people who live in a ghetto and in a white society in which their lord and savior looks just like people who victimize them. God is whatever color God needs to be in order to let people know they're not nobodies, they're somebodies." [25]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_liberation_theology
9/16/08 7:33 PM
Up With Evil
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is this an incorrect interpretation of scripture? 
9/30/08 10:10 PM
lambam

Get religion out of politics (from either Democrats or Republicans) and the country would be a much better place.

I still can't believe that in 2008 people still believe in Christianity, Islam, Hinduism or the many other forms of mental rot out there, let alone insist that their politicians adhere to such repulsive and obviously false views.
9/30/08 11:28 PM
workman43113
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt
10/2/08 1:31 PM
bluedragon

no Hawkeyez, i don't think that is OK. One distanced himself from such ties, while the other has done nothing of the sort. If anything, she has made it part of her policy.
10/2/08 3:15 PM
moonlitphoenix0

bluedragon - no Hawkeyez, i don't think that is OK. One distanced himself from such ties, while the other has done nothing of the sort. If anything, she has made it part of her policy.

this is a pretty good point. what about the heavy emphasis american evangelical protestants place on "repentance"? not that i need to defend Obama, cause i don't he's a pretty outstanding morally sound individual without any help from any fan of his, but what about moving forward?

i'm pretty spiritual myself (slightly religious in a non-orthodox way) but i'm a strict SECULARIST. religion in any way, shape, or form should NOT be involved with politics. we're electing a leader for a State not a Parish.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.