UnderGround Forums

On The Fridge >> Art: Where do I Start?

9/9/08 4:34 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Joe Ray
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm trying to get into art, to understand it and develop an appreciation of it. I think doing so would enhance my life.

I would also like to purchase some nice prints for my currently bare walls at home.

So with regards to the great painters of art, where do I start?

I borrowed some books on modern art from the library but they don't really do anything for me. To be honest I don't think "modern" art is really going to do anything for me.

So who can direct me to any kind of resources or painters I can check out to further my understanding of this art form?
9/25/08 9:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
RedDragonUK
387 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You have a gallery near by? It's all very well looking in books but going to a gallery will be quite beneficial I think.

The Tate Britain has a good website where you can do virtual tour and look at the paintings individually and i'm sure other galleries do to if you cant get to one in person.

I'm not a fan of Modern art myself so I dont want to be hypocritical about it. In the words of Andy Warhol "Art is what you can get away with".

Jackson Pollock's paintings for instance were bought up by the American government so that they could compete with Europes Art scene which ended up being a good thing as America has produced some fantastic art. On the flipside Pollock's drippy paintings were taken seriously.

I think you just have to look at a variety of names and styles and get a feel for what you like. Dont just look for two minutes take a good while and let it sink in as if you're getting prints you will have to live with these bits of work.

David Hockney did a great documentary about how the old masters used to work but I cant find it, its worth watching if you can find it though.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.