UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Hybrids vs long irons

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

9/9/08 4:21 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
ARfightfan
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am thinking about keeping the 3 and 4 iron out of the bag. I have a ping g10 15,18,21 degree hybrid. i hit them much more crisp and solid. Do any of you use more hybrids than that..

that and i also am going to take a wedge out of the bag.
got a 52/56/60. to many sticks to choose from. I hit my 56 better and might use it 85% of the time
9/9/08 10:28 PM
Animal Chin
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i'm a long iron guy. 

what course do you normally play?
9/10/08 8:25 AM
BigKiller
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Unless your handicap is lower than 5, you shouldn't have ANY long irons in your bag.

I carry the 2 & 4 Adams a3 hybrids.

Just throwing this out there, I'm a +1 and the longest iron in my bag is a 5.  Can one of you guys that can't break 80 but still carries a 3 iron explain your thought process in that area?

9/10/08 9:43 AM
JSam238
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Before this year I would have the long irons in my bag just because I never knew when I would need one. I would never use it the right way, just as a club to hit low shots if I needed to play it below a tree and just run it up there.

Now I bought a set of Nickent 3dx irons with a 4 Hybrid. I need to get the 3 hybrid because I now love hitting the hybrid. The ball feels crisp off the face and flies true with more of an idea where its going and with more consistancy. I will agree with Killer, if you aren't good enough to break 80 all the time then you should have them in your bag.

But Killer to answer your question... Its a tough guy/old school thing with guys that still carry the long irons but can't hit them. Some guys feel that hybrids are "ladies or seniors" clubs and that real players don't use hybrids so I'm not. I feel what ever can lower my scores I'll put it in my bag. Since I've started using them my handicap as come down from 35 to 23. One of my buddies that shoots in the 110s carrys one but, oddly enough, its his most consistant club.
9/10/08 12:16 PM
BigKiller

The only reason I can see a hacker hitting long irons is that they can thin them from the tee and get something relatively straight that runs alot.

I'm going to say 99% of amateurs with long irons can't hit shots that would hold most greens.
9/10/08 5:07 PM
smac 2.0

"Just throwing this out there, I'm a +1 and the longest iron in my bag is a 5. Can one of you guys that can't break 80 but still carries a 3 iron explain your thought process in that area?"

I'm too lazy to take it out of the bag and afraid I would lose it if I did.
9/11/08 6:42 PM
dock

I carry a hybrid 3,4,5 the longest iron I carry is a 6.....
9/17/08 3:22 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm more or less a hacker, with a membership, and I rarely break 100, but I carry a - now discontinued - WilsonStaff hybrid with an Aldila shaft. I dunno, I can't hit that thing straight to save my life. On the other hand, I can hit a 3 & 4 iron longer and straighter and I've stuck a lot more greens with my irons than I have with that hybrid. Especially out of the 2nd or third cut.
9/18/08 8:03 AM
BigKiller

MetaDevil - I'm more or less a hacker, with a membership, and I rarely break 100, but I carry a - now discontinued - WilsonStaff hybrid with an Aldila shaft. I dunno, I can't hit that thing straight to save my life. On the other hand, I can hit a 3 & 4 iron longer and straighter and I've stuck a lot more greens with my irons than I have with that hybrid. Especially out of the 2nd or third cut.

Theoretically, this is impossible.

Most pros won't hit long irons out of thick rough.
9/19/08 12:12 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm suggesting to Kirik that this be renamed the bigkiller/animalchin mutual masturbation ground where you two can stroke each other off.

Jesus. No wonder this forum gets less attention than Natureground.
9/20/08 10:31 PM
Animal Chin
153 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

guess i should have said i'm a hybrid guy.
11/30/08 3:19 PM
Big Pete

What are some good hybrid woods? I need a something to replace a 3 wood.
4/23/09 6:21 PM
hounddoggy

I carry a 19 degree hybrid rather than a 5 wood and I also carry both 3/4 irons. I like to hit the 3 iron off the tee on short par 4s sometimes- i like this club over my hybrid because I can control the trajectory better (I can keep it low). I have a hard time keeping the hybrid low and sometimes i prefer to hit a low draw that rolls out.

my index is a 7. So I can hit shots but i can also play like a complete mess.
5/6/09 3:06 AM
Gforce
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nike.
5/12/09 7:50 AM
Steven Rod

Callaway Big Bertha Diablo hybrids are fuckin' great. Awesome clubs.
6/17/09 9:28 AM
AGSa

"I'M Ron Burgundy?" -  

I carry my 4iron about 225

LMAO
6/17/09 12:02 PM
Animal Chin

this is the og/golf ground, agsa.

not only does everyone bench 500lbs and drive ferraris, they hit the ball father than tour players.

don't forget it.
6/17/09 6:13 PM
AGSa

Animal Chin - this is the og/golf ground, agsa.

not only does everyone bench 500lbs and drive ferraris, they hit the ball father than tour players.

don't forget it.

Good point.

I play a persimmon driver and smash it about 300, REGULARLY.

I play to a +5 (tournament scores only), also.
6/17/09 6:39 PM
Animal Chin

Titus Pullo -  Jealousy is a motherfucker indeed.

I also drive 320 regularly with a crry of about 285

you should hit the ball higher so you don't get so much run.
7/6/09 12:56 PM
dangerboy12
114 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

i keep long irons in my bag because they came with the set. I have probably 20+ clubs in there. Even 2 putters and 2 drivers lol.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.