UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> Bow Season opens Saturday

9/11/08 9:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here in Georgia.

Here are some photos we have captured.

Preview - CDY_0015.JPG
9/11/08 9:32 PM
jscorbett
27 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Preview - CDY_0043.JPG
9/11/08 11:47 PM
MakeItRain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It opened up this Sat in KY also.
I have 4 down already. 4 does. My doe to buck ratio is rediculous on my farm.
I'll post some trail cam pics.
I have a few 150" deer walking around. Got a main frame 8 that has a split main beam and a drop tine on the left side. May score upper 160's
9/12/08 11:20 PM
jscorbett

Sounds like you guys have a great management program. Congrats!

I have to work tomorrow. I may have to settle for hunting hogs at night this weekend. The moon is bright and they are hitting the foodplots pretty hard.
9/14/08 9:25 PM
wvjits

Good luck js, I got a few weeks before bow season starts.
9/15/08 12:40 PM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Been out yet corbett?

Oct4 here in Va.  The weather's cooling off, and I almost can't stand the wait. 
9/18/08 10:26 PM
MakeItRain

Update. My drop tine deer has not been seen since last post. My corn was cut and the deer are using the field. Bachelor groups are breaking up as the velvet wears up.

Headed to Southern Ohio in Mid november for the Rut!
9/24/08 5:30 AM
BJJSavate

I just didn't get enough practice in with my longbow.

My friend took a buck last season with his handmade self-bow and cane arrows (with flintknapped heads he made).
9/24/08 8:20 PM
jscorbett

I haven't had the chance to get out. My mom has had to move in with us due Alzheimer's. Her memory is not very bad yet, but, it is requiring alot more work to have her in the house. I hope to do some hunting this weekend. It may just be hogs at night.
9/26/08 11:24 AM
MakeItRain

Shot a deer yesterday with my bow @ 65 yards. Longest shot I've ever taken. Was a doe. She ran maybe 100 yards. God the exit hole from the broad head was sickening.
9/27/08 10:11 AM
jscorbett

I guess you had a great blood trail, then?
9/27/08 11:49 AM
MachetePhil
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

65 yds? man, that's a long shot, and the exit hole was "sickening"? Are you sure your bow isn't a shotgun?

j/k. I could never make that shot, but then again I still shoot with fingers and my bow would probly be considered old fashioned by most people nowadays.

hey jscorbett, sorry to hear about the problems your mother is dealing with. But, when I read your post the other day it made me sit back and think about my mother. She's up there in age, still going strong thankfully, but it made me think about it all and reminded me not to take her for granted, and maybe be a little less selfish when it comes to hunting vs. visiting or doing something for her.

at any rate, I changed the rest on my bow yesterday and am now shooting the worst groups I've shot in years, grrrrr.  One week before opening day, great.  My partner ended up getting a moultrie trail cam and has been getting a bunch of nice pics from the area we'll be in.  One night in particular on the edge of a corn and sorghum field he caught a nice buck, a coyote, and a bear!....all in the same night in the same spot.
9/28/08 2:03 PM
MakeItRain

What kind of rest did you put on your bow?
What is the draw weight?
What do the arrows weigh?
Blazer Veins or Feathers?
Are you following through on every shot?
Most imporantly did you get your bow tuned to paper? Timing could be off.

This is what a two blade Rage broadhead will do.

9/28/08 2:03 PM
MakeItRain

and what kind of bow are you shooting?
Make sure you anchor the same spot everytime.
9/28/08 4:13 PM
MachetePhil

Jeezus @ that hole, looks like a 40mm round hit the deer. Also, you could've at least wiped the milk off the lips of the deer in the background there before the pic.  j/k, j/k...I had to give you sh*t about it.

My bow is a PSE Marauder,  set at 60lbs, and I just put a whisker biscuit rest on it. I set it up and went out and shot just before the post above, arrows were comming off crooked and fishtailing. After I posted I adjusted it a few times and got it dialed in.   Another problem was that I had shot so much that day that my form was getting terrrible. 

On top of that, I haven't practiced much all year until recently, so I found myself correcting mistakes, flipping the string, bad follow through etc., that I wouldn't of had to if I'd practiced more all year.  So some of my frustration was on me. I almost set up the paper but got everything straight before I needed to, although it's still a good idea and I may do it today just to check it. 

as for the WB rest, I was going to go with the Bowtech rest that has a 3 "pronged" brush setup, so the brushes don't acutally hit the vanes, but the store here didn't have any and somebody told me they had problems with their's. Not to mention I would've had to order it and I didn't want to wait, lol @ that.

9/28/08 6:14 PM
BJJSavate

Man...you compound shooters have a lot to keep track of. ;-)
9/28/08 9:00 PM
jscorbett

I've always heard that nothing cuts like a 2 blade broadhead.
9/29/08 10:47 PM
MakeItRain

Well...I'm not a whisker Biscuit fan myself.
The arrow moves to much through the rest. You have to hold that bow completely steady as the whole arrow travels through the rest past the riser. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. Any movement in the bow arm will cause a kick. Whisker Biscuits don't tune to paper hardly at all.

I shoot a Limb Driver drop away on my target bow and for hunting I shoot the NAP Scissor rest. It's basically and enclosed drop away, but it is pricey. I like drop aways because TOTAL fletching clearance and you gain a lil bit of speed, but it will shrink your groups.

For someone who just wnats to hunt a Biscuit is a good deal. Does what it is supposed to, keep the arrow from falling out and gives a decent straight shot.

The Octange Hostage rest by Bowtech is actaully a good rest. If your shooting Blazer vanes it is perfect. It tunes good. Easy to set up.
10/7/08 1:10 AM
Bull_in_chinashop
44 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

jscorbett - I've always heard that nothing cuts like a 2 blade broadhead.

I still have some old Zulu broadheads that I can shoot.  They fly slow as fuck, but they leave a hole you can practically see thru.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.