UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Just finished first week at first firm job

9/12/08 7:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Fake Pie
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Graduated in May, took the bar at the end of July. Just finished my first week of work today.

Got the same secretary I had over last summer and she is cool. So far my department is pretty tight. All dudes and we have our own "beer fridge" that we rotate filling.
9/13/08 3:25 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like fun. Are you getting paid well?
9/13/08 3:25 PM
Fake Pie

9/13/08 8:02 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Not bad rookie. Are they letting you go to court or are you somebody's research rat? If you are admitted in FL or NC, I might hire you, pay you less, but I'd let you get into court your first day and try your first case in less than 1 month.
9/13/08 8:10 PM
Fake Pie

Edited: 09/13/08 9:27 PM
I'm transactional. Corporate work with focus on Energy and Utilities. MD.

I'm originally from FL though so if it doesn't work out I may beg you for a job one day. I don't think I would be a good trial lawyer though.
9/14/08 10:34 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hey bflex, I'm in my a 2L and was thinking about being a defense attorney and probably moving down to FL. Any tips for things to do in law school like classes or different internships I should be looking at?
9/15/08 11:15 AM
bflex

If you get a chance to intern, intern at the public defenders. They will throw you to the wolves quicker than hell. As far as classes, obviously, criminal law, crim pro, evidence. Anything you can get as far as advanced evidence and legal research, take it. If you can get any trial skills classes, take those too.
9/15/08 1:16 PM
Fake Pie

See if your school has a clinic. Mine had one where you could actually work with the public defenders office and actually go into court on behalf of clients.
9/16/08 12:40 AM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I will check and talk to some professors about it. Thanks for the input guys.
9/17/08 7:38 AM
Mike Yelsik

I agree with bflex about being an intern. I interned at a prosecutors office and by the time I was done I had about 4 jury trials and about 50 bench trials. When I went back to school for my last term, I had done more trials than some of my teachers. It was the hardest part of my legal career, but when I was done, I was very well prepared.
9/19/08 5:22 PM
Cookie Monster
73 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Fake, make sure to bang your secretary.
9/20/08 11:47 AM
PrettyBoy
45 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm thinking about taking a job at a plaintiffs firm...any thoughts?

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.