UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Ring of Combat 21 Pics...Feedback?

9/13/08 5:25 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
backfistmedia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Backfist Media, Owner

Right now they are all being upload to my MMA photography site, MMA Prints .... Please provide any construtive feedback. I didn't have much choice as far as my position (bottom of the cage) and my ability to move around was kinda limited as well.

I'm still very new to photography, so financially, my choices are limited...I had a D50 with a 50mm F1.8 and a D40x with a 55-200mm VR F4-5.6 (good for the slow slow stuff and ring girls, haha)

Thanks!

Here's a direct link to the ROC 21 pictures.

As of 9/13, they are slowly being uploaded...they are 2.5MB each and my upload isn't the best.
9/13/08 8:24 PM
backfistmedia

Edited: 09/13/08 8:25 PM
Backfist Media, Owner
That was a very intense and quick fight with Debrosse controlling most of it. I uploaded 64 so far and I have about 400 more...some fights have a lot of ground action so there's not too many cool punch or kick shots. :(

Only half, if that, of the Soto vs. Gordon fight pics are up so far.

9/14/08 10:18 AM
Tokyudo

Where did you have your focal point set to?

My Rebel XT has 9 focal points and I only set the camera to focus on the center dot, this way it all but eliminates any cage fence in the foreground.

Also, what do you have your white balance set to or are you just using an auto setting? I've found, especially at UFC's, that Tungsten is a great setting since there are so many colorful lights.

Good pictures, especially since your lens wasn't super fast.
9/14/08 12:30 PM
backfistmedia

Backfist Media, Owner
I had everything manual...focal point was the center, F1.8, ISO400, anywhere from 320-800 shutter speed, and incandescent gave me the least amount of yellow tint on everything.

Most of the pics were shot with the 50mm F1.8....I really need something like a 17-80mm F2.8...

Thanks!
6/17/09 3:23 PM
greenknght

Have you considered upping your ISO? The Nikons have acceptable grain up to 1600, and it slows down the action.
6/19/09 10:51 PM
backfistmedia

MMAOpinion.com, Owner
Now that I have a D300, I can bring up the ISO to 800-1000 with no problems. I try to keep it down and allow just a little blur with a slower shutter speed to keep the pics somewhat bright. Since that show I've shot other events and ROC has good lighting for a smaller MMA show.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.