UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Philadelphia Cheesteak-What cut of meat?

9/15/08 2:41 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
formerwrestler1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I figured I'd come to the OG to get a real answer:

What cut of meat is used when grilling Philadelphia Cheese Steak for sandwiches? Obviously, it's steak, but what cut, how thin, any other info?

Thanks

formerwrestler
9/15/08 2:53 PM
CR1chard
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

traditionally, it is thinly sliced ribeye - you would need a deli-type of meat slicer to get it that thin
9/15/08 4:38 PM
d0mm3r

^That's what my roommate and I used. Put the ribeye in the freezer for about 30 minutes to make it easier for the meat slicer. Or have your butcher do it.
9/16/08 7:48 AM
formerwrestler1

Thanks for the replies. I knew I could count of the OG.

Will have them cut at the butcher.

formerwrestler
9/21/08 2:14 PM
samichlaus
257 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

CR1chard is correct.
9/22/08 10:59 PM
alpo
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

If you partially freeze the steak and have a super sharp santoku knife, you can cut it pretty damn thin.  Not as uniform and perfectly thin as a deli slicer, but it could be passable, in a pinch.  Not really worth the time, though, since any half ass meat counter would be able to do it for free and a hell of a lot faster, even at the grocery store.

I've actually had it done with a NY strip, to reduce the fat content, and it turned out pretty good.
9/26/08 4:15 PM
dendawg
125 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just make sure you use cheese sauce like cheese wiz, and not real cheese.
9/26/08 8:32 PM
warcake
191 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Tony Luke's, Jim's, Pat's and Geno's all offer cheese wiz.
9/27/08 8:47 AM
sabrutat

Canned cheese is the tradition, but fuck tradition (traditions less than 100 years old ain't traditions anyhoot - they're habits that have yet to fucking take) - I want what tastes good, so I'll use the most applicable cheese in my fridge - baby swiss, usually. Meatwise, I've made cheesesteaks with thinly-sliced ribeye, ground chuck, shredded brisket, corned beef; you name it. The ribeye was best, followed closely by the brisket. Bread? I like French, which you'll never hear me say outside of this context. Onions? Texas sweet, baby... Peppers? Whatever takes my fancy - usually roasted red bell - just the flesh.

A cheesesteak is bread, beef, onions, peppers and cheese. Feel free to adjust each ingredient to your fancy. Don't try to complicate the experience by draping it in a faux-legend that doesn't exist.

Cheers

Stef
10/9/08 2:48 AM
MOFuKA

Bread, Beef, Mushrooms, & Cheese. aaaaaaand thats it...haha
10/10/08 12:58 AM
Mullet @ Heart
53 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm a wiz fan.
10/21/08 7:32 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wiz + regular cheese FTW
11/19/08 6:12 PM
GaryG
22 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Au Contrair, the chain meat from the tenderloin is used for Philly Cheesesteak Sammich. Alton Brown
11/27/08 10:44 PM
shootfightermike
906 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

steak ums
11/27/08 11:37 PM
voorhees

No steak ums.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.