UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Dill sauce suggestion for Swordfish

9/15/08 4:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Mark1
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am doing some blackened swordfish on the grill tonight and wanted to make a dill sauce on the side.

I was going to use mayo/lemon juice/touch of dijon mustard/chopped dill.

However, I started to think that it may be too "tartar sauce" ish...  I wanted something different. 

Would substituting plain yogurt or sour cream work?

Mark
9/16/08 1:45 PM
MetaDevil
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just use butter, lemon, Dijon, and dill for salmon.
9/18/08 1:10 PM
crescentwrench
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sour cream would be milder and probably more dill would come out.

Yogurt would have that tang to it, but for swordfish might be too overpowering.  Is swordfish stout like salmon or mild like, uh, a mild fish?  I've been substituting Greek yogurt for just about every sour cream application recently.  Way more bang for the buck so I don't slather so much on. 

You do that and you could run half a peeled and seeded cucumber through your cheese grater, rough chop that pile so it's not a bunch of strings, and make kind of a tzatziki sauce for swordfish.  Tzatziki is delicious on anything, I'd drink it.  Make it a few hours ahead to let the flavors mix. 

Or leave it all out like MetaDevil said. 
9/18/08 1:22 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I agree about Tzatziki. I'll try it this weekend if I have enough time. CW is a genius. I'd never have thought to try it on fish.
9/29/08 7:57 PM
Mark1

I did 3 parts sour cream, 3 parts yogurt, 1 part mayo.  Then lemon juice, dijon, dill, and a couple dashes of hot sauce.

C-dub,

Swordfish has a robust fish flavor.  A little different flavor than salmon, but similar in strength, if that makes sense.

I made a cucumber relish for salmon last night.

Diced seeded english cuke
lemon juice
olive oil
minced garlic
dill
mint
salt and pepper.

The flavor of the cukes and the lemon helped cut through the strong oily salmon flavor.

Mark
9/29/08 8:06 PM
crescentwrench
305 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ah, okey dokey then.  Then it sounds like it should have held up well to those more heavy creamy ingredients.  How'd it turn out?  Fireworks or just a 14.5 out of 20?
9/30/08 9:07 AM
Mark1

It was good.  The creamy dill sauce helped "cool" off the spicy blackened seasoning.

I was eating with my gf and she seemed to like it.  I would do it again.  14/20

Mark
11/28/08 7:40 PM
Mark1

Update:

I do it with Creme Fraiche now.  Much better

Mark

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.