UnderGround Forums

GolfGround >> Irons and Short Game A+ Drives..Not So Much

9/17/08 11:46 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MakeItRain
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have started playing golf again the last month. My Iron play and short game is top notch. I have really good distance in my irons and short game, with my chips and putting. However, I have to usually tee off with a freaking 3 or 4 iron because when I drive with my driver I slice the absolute dog shit out of it. It will be straight for the first 200 yards then turn to the right sooo bad. So I basically try to play par golf and just hit it in the middle and make a good follow up shot. I dont mind using my irons cuz I hit very straight. Speaking of, I eagled a par for this afternoon after putting the ball 10 feet from the pin with my 3 Iron. It was like 286 to the pin. Short Par 4, but I played the dog leg gamble and it paid off.

I have changed my grip on the driver, and tried to open up. Tried my stance, still can't get it right!!
9/21/08 6:14 PM
Animal Chin
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

don't open your stance, that will make you slice even more.
9/22/08 1:09 PM
BigKiller

Probably swinging "to the left" as well in an effort to stop it going right.  This too will make your slice worse.
9/27/08 8:39 AM
Jacob Lamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I just started playing golf and I still suck, but...

I noticed that I tend to swing the club too much with my right arm, pulling my right elbow into my hip which opens the clubface wide open and makes my ball fly like a boomerang.

When I try to include my left arm or even swing primarily with my left arm it straitens my shot out.

I do have other problems that cause me to slice the ball, but not 3 fairways over like swinging too much with my right arm does. : )
9/28/08 1:46 PM
MakeItRain

Yeah..I have been hitting a lil better with the Driver. I was actually playing to close to the ball. I was hitting to far across it. Still I'm inconsistent. I need a new driver though
9/28/08 11:09 PM
Jacob Lamb
122 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dude... check out the Cleveland Hibore XLS!!!

I tried all the popular drivers and I can hit this one straighter and longer than all the others.

Google it and you'll hear similar stories.
10/3/08 3:26 AM
Jacob Lamb

10/3/08 10:19 AM
Animal Chin
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

a new driver isn't going to fix it.  it's your swing, not what you're swinging. 

spend  $50 and get a lesson.

10/3/08 7:26 PM
Jacob Lamb

But a new driver is shiny and fun... : (
10/3/08 10:28 PM
Animal Chin

true, but when you put snow on the roof because of your bad swing you feel like a jackass.

10/6/08 3:45 AM
smac 2.0

Jacob Lamb - Dude... check out the Cleveland Hibore XLS!!!

I tried all the popular drivers and I can hit this one straighter and longer than all the others.

Google it and you'll hear similar stories.

google any new driver and you'll hear similar stories. it's all in your head, either you made a good swing and your club head was square at impact or you didn't.
10/6/08 1:54 PM
hotshot123
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

when i tend to slice (not very often) i use a mental image of tryin to hit the ball with the toe of the club. make sure you stance is a bit closed and make sure you sming inside out but most important, try to see yourself turning thew club over so the toe is what hits the ball. if you are slicing now then you wont actually be able to hit with the toe but having that in your mind should help getting the face to square or prefferably a tad closed at impact
10/6/08 2:11 PM
BigKiller

hotshot123 - when i tend to slice (not very often) i use a mental image of tryin to hit the ball with the toe of the club. make sure you stance is a bit closed and make sure you sming inside out but most important, try to see yourself turning thew club over so the toe is what hits the ball. if you are slicing now then you wont actually be able to hit with the toe but having that in your mind should help getting the face to square or prefferably a tad closed at impact

How slow do you swing?

With my club travelling at over 100mph, I'm supposed to guide it in there to hit it on the toe?

Maybe, just maybe, you should learn a solid fundamental swing and think about that while swinging.
10/7/08 7:16 AM
hotshot123
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BigKiller - 
hotshot123 - when i tend to slice (not very often) i use a mental image of tryin to hit the ball with the toe of the club. make sure you stance is a bit closed and make sure you sming inside out but most important, try to see yourself turning thew club over so the toe is what hits the ball. if you are slicing now then you wont actually be able to hit with the toe but having that in your mind should help getting the face to square or prefferably a tad closed at impact

How slow do you swing?

With my club travelling at over 100mph, I'm supposed to guide it in there to hit it on the toe?

Maybe, just maybe, you should learn a solid fundamental swing and think about that while swinging.

about 95 mph, 8 hcp. the harder i swing the less i draw it. not trying to hit with the toe but with that thought it make me rotate the club properly. (only have to do that if a slice has started). if i am swing anywhere close to correct then there is no way to actually hit the toe but the thought helps me square the club is all.
10/7/08 7:44 AM
BigKiller

That's a very mechanical swing thought...those usually don't work out for most people....just an fyi.
10/7/08 9:15 AM
hotshot123

yeah it may be too much for some. in my case, it is not so much of a thought anymore but more of a feel thing.

maybe in his case just a closed stance and a strong grip would be best.

I know for a cronic slicer it is tough to convince yourself to line your setup in to your slice but you gotta do it. if you open your stance to try and compensate for the slice then it will never get better.
10/7/08 10:25 AM
BigKiller

Be careful with the closed stance.  With your feet aimed right you may try to "swing to the left" and cut across the ball (making your slice worse).

"Shake hands with the target" is a great drill for releasing the club
10/8/08 11:45 AM
hotshot123

dammit!!! this has nothing to do with this thread other than the thread starters name but.....2 under after 7 holes this morning and the bottom fell out. it friggin pouring rain this morning and this afternoon is not looking much better.
10/9/08 4:30 PM
hotshot123

the gods must be with me, i broke par this morning. i felt good yesterday before the rain came and picked up today right where i left off. 69!!!!

i had 2 gifts in that i holed out from 100 yards out then later i drained what looked like about a 1/4 mile putt...

the short game is for sure clicking right now and its all because that is all i have been practicing.
10/9/08 5:20 PM
Jacob Lamb

smac 2.0 - google any new driver and you'll hear similar stories. it's all in your head, either you made a good swing and your club head was square at impact or you didn't.

You're probably right about hearing the same stories with every driver.

But... I still hit straighter and long with the Hibore than any other driver I've tried.

I didn't swing it once or twice. Probably 20 times, then I tried some others and went back to it again.

For whatever reason, I hit it quite a bit straighter and longer than any of the others.
10/10/08 4:19 PM
hotshot123

shit, i broke out an old vintage callaway original big bertha yesterday and prolly hit it better than i hat any of them big fukkers...thing looked like a fairway club it is so small

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.