UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Political Science at MIT

9/18/08 3:36 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Yueborg
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just a general question fishing for information...

What are the general opinions on MIT's political science PhD programme, and of their Political Science department in general?
9/18/08 7:30 PM
Hank Scorpio
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You are asking about MIT's PhD program on a fighting forum. Let's take a step back here...
9/22/08 12:01 AM
thesleeper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/22/08 12:20 AM
It is very good. You will have access to the other Boston Massachusetts universities in the area as well. They have a cooperative agreement. Posen, Oye, and Choucri are well known and highly regarded in international relations.
11/3/08 10:08 PM
eabeam
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I only knew one person in the program when I was there.
He ended up getting Harvard MBA.
10/20/09 10:38 PM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Seriously.

If you have a chance to study PoliSci at MIT with Chomsky, you'd be out of your mind to pass up the chance.

Besides the fact that it's one of the best and most well-respected research institutions in the world, the PS department at MIT is as well respected in the field as their math and science departments are.

Turning down the opportunity would be the same as a research biologist turning down a fellowship at the Max Planck Institute.
10/21/09 10:49 PM
asdf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/21/09 10:51 PM
Chomsky is in linguistics, not in political science. HIs books are all about politics, but he's a linguist. He's also mostly retired, so you're not going to be "studying" with him.

MIT Political science is not in the same league as math, science, and engineering. With the sciences, it's a surprise if they aren't ranked #1.

MIT Polisci is around ~10 or so. It's a good program, but come on don't be ridiculous.
10/23/09 12:24 PM
GrandInquisitor
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

oops - sorry, don't know why I thought he was in PoliSci and not Linguistics.

Regardless, I still think the MIT program is quite good - and I would disagree with asdf that their PoliSci dept. wouldn't be thought of in the same light as their science departments. (the big difference I can think of is the issue of funding - because of MIT's pact with satan and the US government, they basically have unlimited research funding for some of the .mil based science projects)
10/23/09 10:16 PM
asdf
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/23/09 10:16 PM
As I said, if an MIT science (or especially engineering) department isn't #1 in the country, it's an upset.

I don't think that's true of poli sci. I don't even think poli sci is MIT's #1 humanities grad school. That would be either econ or business. And neither of which are as esteemed as the sciences and engineering.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.