UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> New XSI- still blurry pics!

9/19/08 9:01 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
kying418
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm entirely new to the whole DSLR thing.

I used to have a point and shoot camera, and wanted to upgrade, because I like taking action/bjj photos...and they always turned out blurry.

I got the XSI yesterday, and while I had it in Sports mode, I pressed and held the button down for the continous photo feature...and, my pictures still turned out blurry.

Should I have left it in the Sports mode, but only press when I want a pic? Does that cut down on the blurriness?

I've been reading up a bit, and looks like I may have to play with ISO features, etc.

Does anyone have any quick suggestions for this?

The room is very nicely lit, and I am using the stock lense that came with the camera.

Thanks!
9/19/08 2:32 PM
Tokyudo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You want to focus on one shot instead of multiple. Keep the camera as stead as possible and concentrate on one good shot. Maybe even use a tripod. If you do use a tripod, don't forget to turn off Image Stabilization.

Yes, you do want to use Sports mode if you're not ready to use Manual mode yet.

If the room is nicely lit, you don't have to worry about ISO. Sports mode sets the camera at 400 ISO I believe.
9/19/08 9:37 PM
kying418
67 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks I will definately check it out.

Yes, the room is pretty well lit. Is it just impossible to eliminate blurring in fast moving objects?

Is that something only pro level DSLR cameras can do?
9/19/08 10:13 PM
Tokyudo

kying418 - Yes, the room is pretty well lit. Is it just impossible to eliminate blurring in fast moving objects?

Is that something only pro level DSLR cameras can do?

It's not about the camera. Your camera is very good, especially for a beginner. Your lens is solid, I believe it's a 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 with Image Stabilization.

Shutter speed is the key to capturing sharp pictures. Yes, it is usual for pros, especially in the MMA biz, to require "faster" lenses such as Canon's "L" series lenses (F/2.8 or faster). However, that may not be required depending on what you're trying to capture.

What exactly are you shooting? Someone running?

The faster your shutter speed along with ample lighting, the less blurry your picture will be. When you set the camera in Sports mode, it increases the shutter speed. I have a Rebel XT and I've used the sports mode in the past. I have had no problems getting shots of my kids running in the yard using just my stock lens (which is the same as yours less the IS).
9/20/08 8:59 AM
kying418

Thanks so much!

I'm mostly taking pics of people training BJJ.

Although its indoors, the lighting seems to be pretty good (I could be wrong).

Any quick movements usually results in blurring- especially if I am pressing down the burst mode using the Sports mode.
9/20/08 10:10 AM
Tokyudo

If you think the lighting is adequate, then consider using the Tv mode instead of Sports.

Tv mode is the Shutter-Priority mode on the Rebel. You can adjust the shutter speed by using the front dial. The shutter speed will appear on the left hand side of the back LCD and inside the viewfinder.

The faster the Shutter, the less blur. If your lighting is lacking, the pictures will be dark. Slow the Shutter down to let in more light. You can also use flash with Tv mode, simply hit the 'lightning' button on the left side of the camera to enable.

When you turn on the flash, it'll automatically drop your shutter speed to 200.
9/20/08 2:07 PM
kying418

Thanks!
9/20/08 6:13 PM
backfistmedia

Backfist Media, Owner
Jack up the shutter speed if something is blurry. Then once you have images that aren't blurry (but probably dark), jack up the ISO until everything looks good!

Also, make sure you're using auto focus. :)

I'm bascially echoing everything Tokyudo said, but maybe this will help a little more as well.

kenrockwell.com/tech.htm is how I learned...check out that site to learn the basics!
9/21/08 11:25 AM
Tokyudo

Edited: 09/21/08 11:31 AM
If your lighting is adequate, then you shouldn't need to go higher than 800 ISO. At 1600 and up, your pics will begin to get grainier (noise). I do believe with an Rebel XSi you can comfortably shoot at 1600 without grainy issues to do the improved noise reduction.
9/21/08 1:51 PM
kying418

Thanks again.
6/18/09 12:44 PM
cujobrown

This is good
2/4/10 3:05 AM
Mullet @ Heart
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

First step: Figure out if the blur is from a shaky camera or the motion of the subjects. You can do much better troubleshooting if you figure that out first.
2/4/10 2:03 PM
GregHonda

MyFantasyMMA.com
Here is a quick tip on getting the fastest shutter speed for the equipment that you have.

First set your ISO to 1600. Second, set your camera to Aperture priority and make sure that your aperture is set to the lowest number (I believe that in your case it would be 3.5-5.6 depending on how much you zoom your lens).

By using the above setting, your camera will choose the fastest shutter speed depending on your lighting. In order to stop the action and get clean shots of bjj your shutter speed reading should be in the range of 640-800.

I'm thinking that although you think the lighting is good, it probably is not. I suspect you are probably getting a shutter speed less than 200.
2/5/10 4:09 AM
kying418

Thanks for bumping this up- all the advice worked great, and I was able to get some nice bjj action pics with no more blurring!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.