UnderGround Forums

NatureGround >> A few mountain biking pics

9/20/08 8:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

These are from my morning ride today. They are the cottonwood area outside of Las Vegas, specifically red valley to wilson's tank. And yes, that is a bike without shifters. It has 3 speeds: Sitting, standing and walking.

9/21/08 4:07 PM
xsjadoroll
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I <3 single speed
5/16/09 1:53 PM
Willybone
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow. That's beautiful. Such a view must be inspiring. You can actually gauge long distance progress on a land mark.

I should take pics of my local park because it could not possibly be more different: wet, leafy, rocky, rooty, woodsy, cramped, with a 50 ft visibility...

That bike is awesome, too. I miss my BMX cruiser.
5/18/09 5:27 PM
SLeePyFiST
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

looks like a good place to get mauled by a cougar :)
5/19/09 7:13 AM
Willybone
384 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh shit! It's a pack of them!

6/23/09 3:04 PM
big_slacker
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

MY wang works fine, ask your mom. :D

You know they've made padded shorts and channeled seats literally for decades now right? If your taint is numb during a ride you've got a shitty seat or your bike is fitted way bad. Its like saying all hikers will have knee and hip replacements.

That bike is now my wife's who also loves it. I created an abomination, a full suspension singlespeed. Chain length is solved with a special tensioner by yess, pedal bob on standing climbs is solved by the rear shock being re-valved/tuned by push industries. Only 25 lbs. Rear shock can be set stiff for the way up and plush for the way down. Best of both worlds. Pics:

6/23/09 3:15 PM
big_slacker

I also recently got to do a demo day for gary fisher. Pick as many bikes as you want and go to town. I rode my bike first for comparison. Then rode a Roscoe which is a burly 5.5" travel trail bike. Meant for rugged terrain which we certainly have here in Vegas. It pedalled uphill like a pig. Downhill it was a cadillac. Didn't handle well in low speed technical terrain, I crashed it. :D

Then I got to ride a Superfly. Great name, because that bike was PIMP! 29" wheels so it rolls smooth over everything. Super light carbon fiber frame. I think it was in the low 20 lb range. Awesome bike with an awesome price tag to match. Like $4400. I didn't crash that one.

Pics:

8/3/09 6:27 PM
gregbrady
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

That Intense is a badass bike. It's probably my favorite full-suspension bike. How the rigidity of it. I'm about 200 pounds and had a Gary Fisher sugar that I wasn't real impressed with. Thing was like riding a wet noodle after about a year of riding the shit out of it.
8/28/09 7:54 PM
big_slacker

Sorry about the late reply, I forget about this sub-forum!

Intense is known for lateral flex in the rear. I never noticed it when I was riding it before, but going from a hardtail to the suspension it is very much present.

Now simple up/down? That is entirely up to your shock/forks. I got the rear shock redone by PUSH industries at it was night and day. Didn't bob much climbing, but was comfortable for downhills. The old Duke on the front wasn't great but I got it rebuilt and it did well for what it was.

I think especially for bigger guys its important to keep up with fork/shock maintenance. You're supposed to change the fork oil, check seals and even rebuild from time to time. I never do till something breaks. :D

I couldn't get the ride on the superfly out of my mind, so now I've parted out the intense (only have the frame/shock left) and have a 29er singlespeed. Misfit diSSent. It just rocks.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.