UnderGround Forums

Weapons UnderGround >> Looking for review of "Die less Often" video

9/22/08 12:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Ramses II
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am interested in this product, and and was wondering if anyone has it and what they thought.
9/23/08 5:10 PM
None So Blind
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/08 12:39 PM
Friend of mine bought it, I saw part of one DVD. I think there are two? total.

*Lots* of realistic sparring, from what I remember it followed an almost scientific "pre-test and post-test" model ;-)  It had a bunch of guys try to do knife defense against a (rubber) knife-wielding attacker within 10 feet or so, and I think most of them had rubber guns to simulate being able to draw and shoot.

In the pre-test, all the folks shown had a really bad time of it - essentially all of them got cut and stabbed a bazillion times, even though some of them tried traditional martial arts knife defenses and such. A couple even went to the ground like BJJ and *really* got torn up :-P 

Then they covered the specific defenses to that kind of attack, then showed video of the same guys trying to defend again. Most of them were able to do the defense properly against a really determined opponent while going pretty hard. It was really neat. No wacky kung-fu type disarms, just realistic forms of control, along with some awareness stuff. Also, some guys were able to fend off or redirect the knife guy and then pull their rubber gun and "shoot" the guy to end the confrontation.

I still LOL at one scene where a guy was "walking with his girlfriend" as a training scenario, the attacker comes out and jumps him, the guy wrestles the attacker down, and the "girlfriend" (who I think was actually an assistant instructor) came FLYING into them like a pro-wrassler, presumably to help whoop the knife-wielder's butt :-) Seriously, that lady was leveled out in the air at about 6 feet high and then dropped on them like Spider-Man pouncing on a mugger.... 
9/23/08 5:41 PM
Sisco T

Edited: 09/23/08 5:47 PM
I still LOL at one scene where a guy was "walking with his girlfriend" as a training scenario, the attacker comes out and jumps him, the guy wrestles the attacker down, and the "girlfriend" (who I think was actually an assistant instructor) came FLYING into them like a pro-wrassler, presumably to help whoop the knife-wielder's butt :-) Seriously, that lady was leveled out in the air at about 6 feet high and then dropped on them like Spider-Man pouncing on a mugger....

if it's the same scene we are thinking about that was felicia oh- no ordinary damsel in distress. i believe she's a machado bjj blackbelt and regulary competes (and places) in gi and no gi competitons. all there had a good laugh when that particular scenario played out.

Francisco
9/23/08 8:54 PM
None So Blind
225 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, re-reading my comment, I should emphasize I meant I LOL at how she launched herself with full commitment (it was a helluva jump!), not that it looked goofy or anything. Didn't she actually armbar the guy, if I recall correctly?  Not surprised at her being a Machado BB, then :-)
9/25/08 10:43 AM
ryangruhn
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/08 10:49 AM
 Yes that was Felicia Oh =)  She's been known to tap guys before ;-)

The rubber knives we used were actually Shocknives.

9/27/08 5:32 AM
CharlesLewis
783 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Best videos of their kind on the market.
9/27/08 6:37 PM
Ramses II

Thanks everyone. It is appreciated. Anyone care to rate it against the Red Zone DVD set?
10/3/08 11:48 PM
smileythai

That shocknife video was awesome!
11/18/08 6:19 PM
merryprankster_au

living in Australia where very few people carry guns I am more interested in unarmed knife defense.

Are the DLO DVD's a good buy if this is your reason for purchase or are they more for people interested in knife defense with a gun?

I had not heard of the Red Zone series are these good?
11/20/08 4:13 AM
merryprankster_au

sweet, I've already got the Ray Floro DVD.

So a fair bit of unarmed knife defense is covered in DLO series?
1/4/09 7:22 PM
TheStewedOwl
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have both the first and second set and think they are both very good. The first one covers unarmed defense, some unarmed hand-to-hand, and defense against a knife where you have a gun at close range - how to effectively get your gun out and in play without getting cut. As the title of the series states, you're in a crappy situation by definition so the training framework improves your odds of surviving.

One of the things I like about the filmed seminar format is that you get the chance to see the mistakes people commonly make when first learning the framework, as Gabe and Marc correct them and you see the learning curve rise. This seems to emphasize the important parts of the training very well.

The DLO 2 series focuses more on safely bringing the gun into play against the knife.
1/12/09 3:43 PM
Guerrero
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ramses II - Thanks everyone. It is appreciated. Anyone care to rate it against the Red Zone DVD set?

I have both the DLO and Redzone videos and in all honesty I can't rate one over the other. They're both very good and I would reccomend buying both. The material on both DVDs also seem to blend in very well together.

The Redzone DVDs have alot of full-on sparring like the DLO DVDs.
1/20/09 2:36 PM
paw
1418 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

for laters
3/30/09 6:02 PM
WidespreadPanic

Great set which everyone should consider getting.

But one thing that is impressive is that even when coached on the right way to respond, very few of the attendees could perform it.

IOW, when counseled not to deploy the gun  until the defender had control of the position and posture, one officer kept trying to get his gun out and kept getting killed. The point is it is very difficult to break bad habits and build new ones.

Having said that, I think this series is superb and probably the best in the field of gun and knife play and armed and unarmed response.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.