UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Hot Sauce

9/23/08 8:57 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm finishing up my hot pepper harvest and am looking for some of the fundamentals for making a good hot sauce. I have a large variety of peppers and a large surplus of yellow cayennes and habeneros.

I'm looking more for useful techniques than specific recipes, but I would appreciate recipes as well.
9/23/08 11:46 AM
crescentwrench
240 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think the usual way is just peppers, vinegar, salt, and a blender.  Everything after that is extra.  That's all that is in my cayenne sauce from the store.   I don't think you have to cook it or anything.  If your blender has the horsepower that can cook it somewhat. 

I also don't know proportions, 2 to 1 pepper to vinegar ratio?  Less vinegar if you use more salt maybe.  Some website will have it.

After those 3 things maybe toss in a couple of garlic cloves or onion or even like carrots or some fruits.  The possibilities are pretty big.  Then strain it all through some cheesecloth.

Do they make canning type bottles for hot sauce?

9/25/08 5:25 PM
SE7ENFOLD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Add some mango for flavor and some sweetness.
9/26/08 10:47 AM
shibbytastic
37 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So far I have made a couple of batches:

Made one Jamaican style recipe with adjustments for what in season fruit i had around:
Some habeneros
Some Thai Chillies (I think that's what they are)
some yellow cayennes
Onion
Fresh Carrot
Nectarines (no figured they were similar enough to mangos, and are local + in season)
2 Apples (fresh and local and the recipe is supposed to be sweet)
Allspice
Honey
Jamaican Thyme (fun plant to grow)
salt
vinegar
garlic
ginger
Lightly fried the stuff worth frying (onions etc.)
Then stewed the nectarines in the same pan and added the vinegar, blended and put in jars.

It's extremely hot but with a nice sweet relatively complex flavor, the heat really kicks in late. I think the nectarines worked well as a substitute, but i think the apples have caused it to have a much thicker texture than i wanted.
9/26/08 10:57 AM
shibbytastic

The other one i made was much simpler.

A couple of habeneros
A bunch of red thai chillis
Some Red Cayennes
A couple red Jalapenos
Small sprig of rosemary
Some basil leaves
Small amount of thyme
A few cloves of garlic
A bit of tequila
White vinegar
Salt

Blended it and threw it in a jar.

It has a great red color, but as of last night I was unimpressed with the flavor and heat right after blending. I think it will improve as things sit.

What i'm trying to figure out now is whether to strain before i put things in more attractive bottles for serving, and what to do with the rest of the peppers. I'm drying some and thinking of making a big batch of chili oil.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.