UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Beef Jerky Recipes

9/23/08 11:22 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
snerdog
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Long time lurker, just starting to post.

Does anybody have any good beef jerky marinades? I usually throw soy sauce, hot sauce and maple syrup together with some garlic powder but I want to try something different.

I have a dehydrator that works well, but I'm not entirely happy with the jerky. How thick\thin do you slice the meat?
9/24/08 11:38 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I wish I friggin' knew, man. I wish I knew.

I suck at jerky recipes.
9/25/08 3:02 PM
drunkenfighter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

How you cut the meat is important too. I believe you cut it crossgrain for beef jerky.
9/26/08 1:35 AM
Mullet @ Heart
50 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Depends on the cut of meat you're using. If you're using flank, cut with the grain.
9/27/08 1:46 AM
Mullet @ Heart

Too ghetto.
9/27/08 12:28 PM
crescentwrench
238 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Nooooo!!!  Not cross-grain!  That makes your jerky taste like it's full of sand or something.  Very gritty.

You cut with the grain, that's why eating jerky always means ten minutes of picking out from between your teeth.  Is it called jerky because they used to jerk long strips of muscle from a primal?  I wonder, hmmm

Anyway, you can modify Alton's approach.  I never worry too much about marinades, they always taste the same to me in the end.  The only difference is amount of liquid smoke (usually people put in too much) and heat (usually people put in too little).  But otherwise just whatever is in your pantry.

And back when I was a young child we made jerky at Boy Scout camp with Ivan the Naked Indian.  He wore a leather g-string but he was naked enough.  We just salt and peppered strips of beef and hung them on lines between two saplings to dry in the sun.  He said the bugs would land on them but the pepper kept them from sticking around.  That was probably not true but I'm not dead.

So what I've done before is put my strips on a cooling rack set in a large cookie sheet.  Then I glued old surveying stakes around an even older window screen to make an elevated cage.  Then I set the cage over the cookie sheet and set it all out on a table in the sun to dry.  After a long time, like a few hours, I flipped the meat.  Then after it looked like jerky I put it in a ziplock bag and ate it.  It was pretty damn good.  Different from oven or dehydrator jerky.
11/6/08 2:42 PM
Lou Dukes

I'm making some jerky this weekend. I'm think of 2 marinades: Teriyaki & BBQ w/soy
12/9/08 6:11 PM
jaydub

you have to use cure unless you want to die if you're going to store it at room temperature.

Here is my recipie for making jerky with out nitrates and keeping in the fridge.

1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/4 cup of worchestershire
1/4 brown sugar
1/4 cup of honey
clove of crushed garlic
add hotsauce to taste

Mix all ingredients with meet and marinate over night.

Pull meat out of marianate and do a white vinegar bath for a few minutes and pat dry.(this helps kill and bacteria before smoking) and smoke 160-180 degrees for about 5-6 hours. I like to use a mix of hickory and mesquite for smoke.

Take off heat and let dry and breath for an hour and refrigerate.

Or you can just send me a check and I'll make it for you.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.