UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> What type of law to practice?

9/23/08 12:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a 2L and trying to decide what type of law I would like to go in to. I am leaning towards criminal defense or a divorce attorney. I dont see crime or divorce rates lowering too much in the future so hopefully I will have a job for awhile.

What are the pros and cons of each type of law. I know there will be major differences in pay depending on waht firm, governement job, where you go, private practice, etc. but generally what is the pay like and which will help me get what bflex calls his MBA (mega bank account)?
9/23/08 8:18 PM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The pros of family law are: Steady work. The cons are: It is family law. What the fuck? I can't even believe that you are thinking of family law. I actually understand because the concepts are simple. However, you have never seen an attorney make a mountain out of a molehill until you have seen a family law attorney. It really sucks, your fellow attorneys aren't civil, your clients are irrational and unreasonable. Fuck it. Also, family is the only area of law that you can go into and the client will not be satisfied with you no matter what!

Criminal is relaxing. Your client's are all guilty and you know this. You go in trying to get them the softest landing possible. Your fellow attorneys will laugh and drink with you.

If you start at the PD's, you are looking at mid thirties to start. If you start at a private firm, you are probably looking at mid fourties. If you start your own firm, be prepared to starve for a few months, but if you bust your ass, you can make 6 figures a year the first year.
9/23/08 8:25 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN
42 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

well, you sold me on criminal law. I would rather not start out in the mid 30's considering I will have a ton of loans to pay and i made more than that before I went to law school.
9/23/08 8:33 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

To go along with my first post, I heard most lawyers start out with crap pay and within 3 years are making good pay. However I would like to bypass the bad pay and go striaght to the MBA
9/24/08 11:51 AM
bflex
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Most lawyers do start out with crap pay and most make crap pay their entire career. Depends on what you consider crap pay. If you consider 80k per year good, then yeah, most make good money within 3 years. I should be pushing the 200k mark this year. I'll give you my little secret.

www.naderanise.com

Buy his program, follow it, do exactly what you are told, watch money come pouring in.
9/24/08 12:46 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

how long have you been practicing bflex?
9/24/08 7:08 PM
bflex

I graduated in May 2003, took and passed the bar in July. Got held up on character and fitness issues until April of 04. Started my own firm in Dec. 2004. So, almost 4 years on my own. My partner has been practicing less time than I have and he pulls in just as much if not more than I do.
9/24/08 7:55 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

Sounds like you went into your praactice right off the bat. How did you know what to do and how things work? So far most people I've talked to said that practicing is so much different than law school. Also, where at in Florida ar you?
9/24/08 11:42 PM
bflex

I like to joke and say that I was the Defendant enough times to know what I was doing, but in reality that wasn't the case. Also, I worked at the PD's, but not as an attorney. The bottom line is that I have balls and when all else failed I just got indignent and pretended like my case was a gigantic miscariage of justice. I also had a few older attorney friends who I could bounce ideas off of. Like "hey Jim, this motion to suppress thing, what the fuck am I doing?"

I have an office in Ft. Lauderdale, but I am in Raleigh, NC right now. Have an office up here too.
9/25/08 12:49 AM
ViewType
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There are plenty of PD offices that pay much better than 30k.
9/25/08 11:41 AM
bflex

viewtype - I've never seen one pay above 36 to start. I've seen them go as low as 28 to start. Either which way, not good.
9/25/08 12:00 PM
HaMMerHouseFAN

I will be in Ft. Lauderdale for about a month in December. Maybe we could hook for a drink and talk? I know some people who interned at teh PD's office while in law school so I'm going to check with them to see they're thoughts and if they have an in for me there.
9/25/08 4:06 PM
bflex

Not a problem. I know that I will be back there around December 9-13. Plenty of good titty bars. Just let me know.
9/26/08 12:26 AM
Shaz
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The dark side is seductive, but don't forget - Prosecutors are the REAL public defenders!

-Shaz!
9/26/08 12:31 PM
bflex

***Insert Darth Vader Voice***

Bflex: Who's your daddy Shaz. I am your daddy.

Shaz: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! You killed my father!

Bflex: Yes, but then I hooked up with your mother and that makes me your step-daddy. Search your feelings, you know it is true!
9/29/08 5:05 AM
Chappie
86 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/29/08 5:12 AM
The rate of pay obviously varies based upon location. In Las Vegas, the start out pay for PDs in somewhere around 70k.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.