UnderGround Forums

MMA Photography UnderGround >> Where to get photos printed? Prices? Help!!

9/23/08 5:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
foxfirejesse
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ok, so far I've only done MMA photography at events and some clothing stuff for Warrior Wear, Six Deuce. and Massive. I've never actually had to do any prints because everything has just been for online so far. Well now I got asked to do maternity shots for my old roomate, senior pics, a family picture, and two fall picture shoots for a two families for their daughters. I have a busy fall coming on and I need a good place (not Target or Walmart) to print pictures up and I would like to find a place that prints wallets individually with the rounded corners and not in sheets that we'll have to cut ourselves. And I have no clue what to be charging people. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance and some eye candy for your time!

9/24/08 9:24 AM
backfistmedia
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Backfist Media, Owner
We have a semi-local place around here that prints high quality photos...your best bet is to hit up a local camera shop because those folks will know where and how to print the photos properly.

As for the $$$, I have no idea...sorry.
9/24/08 4:01 PM
Tokyudo

Like backfist mentioned, your best bet is a local photography store. I would never trust something like this to an online site.

Nice pics of the IFL ring girl :)
9/24/08 6:46 PM
foxfirejesse
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks guys! I will look into it!
12/17/08 11:17 AM
General Nuisance

We use White House Custom Color (google them) and have never been disappointed or had complaints from our clients. They have a great section in their pricing guide about setting up your monitor for accurate color representation so that what you see on your screen is what you get in your order. Their prices are good, and with a $12 minimum order, you get free shipping.

Another good resource is MPIX.com. They are the consumer side of Millers photography. They also have an excellent group of forums to learn from. Go to their forums, search for posts on pricing. It is very subjective though, and much depends on the market you are in and the level of your experience. Many of the posts give you guide lines to consider in setting your pricing, not so much actual prices. You can also look for photographers in your area, and look at their pricing structures to get an idea of the market.
12/30/08 1:53 PM
jp40photography

Try Nationsphotolab.com. A very professional lab online that is for photographers not just everyday users wanting re-prints.
7/1/09 1:24 PM
2TALL4BJJ
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For everything up to 8x10 I use costco, they have amazing quality pics and you can also download color profiles if you really want to get precise about your colors. I upload from home at night, go pick up next day. Cheap too, damn cheap.

I've had mixed results with walgreens/cvs and don't use them anymore.

For bigger prints I use adorama photo lab. I also have an account with White House Custom, but haven't used them yet. They look really good and have read good reviews.
7/4/09 10:38 AM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Check out http://www.smugmug.com/photos/pro-print-labs-compared/ for the resoning that smugmug decided to go with bay photo - they looked at both WHCC and MPIX. Pretty interesting.
7/15/09 3:31 PM
cluster
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

FRAT (and bad somewhat incoherent wording) warning:

I got some pics from both EZPrints and WHCC. I just got the test back from WHCC and I like them much better than EZP.

Granted, the ones I got from EZP were on lustre paper while the WHCC ones were glossy, so it's not a direct comparison, but I'm much happier with the WHCC prints. The EZP ones had a definite green cast to them which wasn't necessarily apparent in looking at the photos themselves (At least to my untrained eye) but compared to the WHCC ones, holy crap they look junky. Two of the photos in question were show RAW, exported as monochrome (which gives you an RGB jpg file). The WHCC prints were much cooler (that is, notwarm) looking than the EZP ones but again I don't know that they would be that obvious unless you looked at them side-by-side. To be fair, I didn't send in any shots of people, so I don't have skin tones to compare.

One of my pics, I had some pretty bad oversharpening artifacts that were apparent on the EZP photo, but were not visible on the WHCC photo. I'm surprised at this, but some of the reason may be that the test prints from WHCC were 8 x 10 and the EZP ones were 8 x 12, so I had to scale the photos down for WHCC (which they then scaled back up for some stupid reason - I'm not at all happy with that. But they were free test prints...).

The above two concerns make for a less-than-perfect comparison, but I'm much happier with the WHCC prints. We'll see what happens when I send the same prints again as 8 x 12s on lustre for a direct comparison.

A couple other points:

1. WHCC does not apply any color correction to the images unless you specifically ask them to and then pay them. EZPrints always applies color correction (and it's a machine, not a person as I understand). That may explain the green cast on the images.

2. Customer service at EZP sucks. I sent them an email, got a response three weeks or so later that said, "we know your question is very important. We'll answer it within 24 hours" and I never got a response. I called WHCC and talked to a knowledgeable human within a couple minutes. They were quick with answering a couple emails and then just didn't answer one.

3. I placed two orders with EZP, the first was just with 8 x 12s that came flat-packed (heavy cardboard envelope and cardboard back in the envelope) but with no sleeve. I then placed another order with 8 x 12s and a couple larger prints that came rolled. Whoever rolled them did a terrible job and they were all pinched. The WHCC prints came in a standard UPS envelope inside a plastic sleeve with a cardboard back. I was worried about the prints getting the corners damaged, but they look pretty good. I talked to another buddy who used to use EZP and said they had to stop because _everything_ was coming back rolled and crimped. WHCC said they flat pack everything up to 24 x 36.

Price is pretty similar. IIRC there's no shipping charge with WHCC, so that cost gets built into the prints.

FRAT VERSION: I will probably stick with WHCC and will definitely not use EZPrints.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.