UnderGround Forums

Hunting & Fishing Ground >> tell me about Redbone hounds

9/24/08 5:29 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BJJSavate
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Friend had a litter of Redbone/Plott Hound pups and was going to give me one.

Don't know much about training them but I've heard that if you make them a "family" dog, they'll be ruined for any tracking purposes.

I don't know much about dogs but know I'd like to someday run them for coon (maybe).
10/14/08 8:33 AM
USGChrissy

Making a dog a 'family dog' won't ruin it for anything. It will make the bond between you and the dog stronger. It will still be able to track. You will need to guide the tracking experience (which your breeder can help you with, if they're even remotely legit breeders). Further, you can reinforce the tracking that is inherent in these dogs by using your wife/kids as the thing to be tracked. Find a good tracking club in your area, and you'll be amazed at the dog's ability, regardless of where the dog lives.

Further, dogs are social creatures. They need interaction from their pack, be it human or canine. Tying your dog up outside and waiting for coon season to roll around again is a good way to get an indifferent hunting dog. The dog won't have any bond with you, so will not be as likely to work with you. The dog will still hunt, but you won't be a team. It's important to work together in order to have a successful hunt, and to keep you and your dog safe.
12/5/08 3:08 PM
GaryG
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

USGChrissy - Making a dog a 'family dog' won't ruin it for anything. It will make the bond between you and the dog stronger. It will still be able to track. You will need to guide the tracking experience (which your breeder can help you with, if they're even remotely legit breeders). Further, you can reinforce the tracking that is inherent in these dogs by using your wife/kids as the thing to be tracked. Find a good tracking club in your area, and you'll be amazed at the dog's ability, regardless of where the dog lives.

Further, dogs are social creatures. They need interaction from their pack, be it human or canine. Tying your dog up outside and waiting for coon season to roll around again is a good way to get an indifferent hunting dog. The dog won't have any bond with you, so will not be as likely to work with you. The dog will still hunt, but you won't be a team. It's important to work together in order to have a successful hunt, and to keep you and your dog safe.

USGChrissy is very wise.
2/12/09 4:01 AM
joeyroberts1

Great post USGChrissy.
2/12/09 5:27 PM
BJJSavate

That's what I thought...thanks!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.