UnderGround Forums

Football Ground >> ATTN: Citeh

9/24/08 5:51 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
grizz632
695 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Welcome back to reality...

End Extra Time: Brighton 2-2 Manchester City

BRIGHTON BEAT MANCHESTER CITY 5-3 ON PENALTIES

BRIGHTON 5-3 MAN CITY Richards scores
BRIGHTON 4-3 MAN CITY Ball saved
BRIGHTON 4-3 MAN CITY Virgo scores
BRIGHTON 3-3 MAN CITY Kompany scores
BRIGHTON 3-2 MAN CITY Murray scores
BRIGHTON 2-2 MAN CITY Elano scores
BRIGHTON 2-1 MAN CITY Elphick scores
BRIGHTON 1-1 MAN CITY Evans scores
BRIGHTON 1-0 MAN CITY Livermore scores

Sheikh M'balz es-Hari or whatever his name is won't be amused...
9/25/08 6:59 AM
threeeleven
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

he's already looking to dump his money elsewhere
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11827_4192913,00.html
9/25/08 11:30 AM
Govnor

LOL....what a shambles

**leaves thread quickly**
9/26/08 2:45 PM
Shotgun Mick

Yeah it must be tough being a Man City fan.
10/3/08 5:56 AM
KurtCorris
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

outstanding return to form
10/6/08 4:21 PM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

citeh has been jumping the gun with their optimism for the season, but i doubt any of them are upset. they have the spending power to be a dominant team in short order. i suspect they can realistically compete for a title or atthe very least CL spot by next year. in two more windows theyll have flexed their spending muscle and should be epic.

which pains me to say being a supporter of the team across town.
10/10/08 3:48 PM
Bigpapa42

I still believe building success takes more than money. Yes, it worked for Chelsea. But they are the exception, not the rule.
10/11/08 12:25 PM
The Kangaroo
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Bigpapa42 - I still believe building success takes more than money. Yes, it worked for Chelsea. But they are the exception, not the rule.

my opinion is, money can buy you a good team, ie a team that will gain Uefa and CL spots, but money doesnt neccesarily mean you will challenge for a title. football is a financial game as much as it is a compeition on the pitch. at the top level it is about tactics and having the right players for a system etc... but to build a team that is going to challenge for trophies consistently you have to have the money to buy players and more importantly the money to be able to miss on big money players and be able to eat that loss and fire again for more talent. but i think now more then ever their is a tier system in the prem that relegates technical know how virtually useless. there are 4 teams who try to win every title. 4-5 more teams that hope they can go on a cup run and make a UEFA spot and abotu 10 teams trying to avoid relegation. the difference between them is MONEY. the 4-5 mid tier teams are better off then the other 10 relegation level teams becausetheyhave either a slight bit more money OR their moves have been a bit more lucky. (ie player doesnt get injured, fit the prem style of play better etc)

city will be a very good team with them investing heavily, how good they will be is debatable, but then again theyve just started the transformation. what helps is that they have a hard nosed manager like Hughes, who will demand the best from his players. i cant imagine prima donnas run the ship under him.
10/14/08 5:44 PM
Bigpapa42

And challenging for titles is really the measure of a "big" club. More than just challenging - winning them is what truly establishes a club as belonging to the elite.

Yes, you can buy a good squad. Just like playing a video game version of football, you can throw money at talented players and lump them together in the same shirt. That doesn't make a good side, however. It might. It might just as well result in an overpaid, expensive mess. To me, careful spending and good management is what is going to put a club at the top. I believe a manager is just as important as the players. When you look at the Big Four in England, they all have one thign in common - very good managers. They can also afford to spend. And while I'm pretty sure United and Chelsea have out-spent everyone else over the past 6-8 years, I'm not so sure about Arsenal and Liverpool. If you look at net transfer spending over that period, I'm willing to guess that clubs like Tottenham, Everton, Newcastle, Aston Villa, and now Portsmouth and Manchester City are not far behind in spending on the transfer market. Yet none of those clubs have been able to consistently establish themselves int hat "just below the elite" role. Just like on the continent, that space seems to rotate year to year. Tottenham have been spending quite freely for about three years now and what do they have to show for it?

Being that "just below" club, much as being an elite club, is about consistency. Its about being competitive match after match and rarely dropping points you shouldn't. That seems to be just as tough if not tougher than winning the big matches. Squad depth becomes key when you run into problems with injuries and poor form. But even the elite clubs end up having to deal with injury crisises and depth issues. Even the most talented squad can be inconsistent - ask Inter for most of the past decade, or Real Madrid during most of the Galactico era. Even Barcelona last year. That's where I believe a top level manager comes in.

To justify the money being invested, Manchester City needs to win titles. The new owners are not pouring money into the club to compete for a UEFA Cup spot every year, with the occassional push for that last Champions League spot. They aren't doing it even to finish 3rd on a consistent basis. The only justification for massive spending in football is titles. But football is a bad investment because there is no guarantee on the investment, even with those titles being won.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.