UnderGround Forums

Michigan Underground >> Michigan MMA Encyclopedia.

9/24/08 9:29 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TrainJudo
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This thread is designed to be the wikipedia of Michigan Martial Arts..

Terms, Names, Gyms, Events, Etc.

A know everything Michigan MMA....

For example, I give to you two entries that need definition.

Crystal Gardens

and

Droog

Define each and then it is your turn to leave two entries.

9/24/08 9:43 PM
BadBradBurrick

Crystal Gardens - is a location in Southgate that the TFC Fightzone held two events at until Jennifer Granholm called the events illegal. 

Droog - A term made famous in the movie A Clockwork Orange that was later used by Walter Lamb and the Metro Fight Club.  The term basically means friend.

My turn...

Kerry Roop

and

Tap or Snap Submission Fighting

9/24/08 9:54 PM
TrainJudo

Edited: 09/24/08 10:02 PM

Kerry Roop - King of the Michigan smoker. About anyone who was ever anything in Michigan fought out of his smokers at one time. Kerry Roop was a 2x World Kickboxing Champion, and 2x US Kickboxing Champion. A 5th degree in TKD and a hella striker, but, his legacy (as far as MIchigan is concerned) lies in allowing fighting to thrive in Michigan during the lean times..He is trusted and respected.

Plus, He trained Eddie Murphy. 

Tap or Snap Submission Fighting, I will allow someone more affiliated to leave the entry, However, who can even hear the name and not think of Jay Ireland? One of the coolest motherfuckers to ever strap on the gloves in our state...

Jay is so cool that if you dont like him, everyone knows you are the dickhead!

so I add my one entry for my one correct answer and that is..

9/24/08 10:01 PM
TrainJudo

Edited: 09/24/08 10:02 PM
Jason Ireland

9/24/08 10:22 PM
BadBradBurrick

Jason Ireland is a Mixed Martial Arts fighter who helped establish the Tap or Snap Submission team. Known as the Irish Tornado he helped pioneer Michigan Mixed Martial Arts and fought from 185, 170, and 155. He won the first grappling competition at the Arnold Classic. Jason got large recognition for his slugfest with Ultimate Fighter Jorge Gurgel at a King of the Cage event which was later showed on PPV. The fight was largely talked about on the Underground. He would become a huge draw in the KOTC of the cage circuit and be one of the posters boys for the Soaring Eagle show. Several Mixed Martial Arts title would be won by Jason in his career. Jason fought in the last Pride event which was in Las Vegas. Currently, he is retired from fighting.

Walter Lamb

Dan Severn
9/25/08 10:50 AM
DaveGarcia
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Kerry Roop - King of the Michigan smoker. About anyone who was ever anything in Michigan fought out of his smokers at one time. Kerry Roop was a 2x World Kickboxing Champion, and 2x US Kickboxing Champion. A 5th degree in TKD and a hella striker, but, his legacy (as far as MIchigan is concerned) lies in allowing fighting to thrive in Michigan during the lean times..He is trusted and respected.

Plus, He trained Eddie Murphy."

I'd add:
The smoker events he held included kickboxing, submission wrestling and "striking with submission" matches.
9/25/08 1:58 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

nice job
9/25/08 2:48 PM
BadBradBurrick

What the hell, are people going to do my entries so we can move on or what?
9/25/08 3:35 PM
DaveGarcia
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 09/25/08 3:39 PM
Walter Lamb - Also known as Waltorious Lambeth and The Ayatollah of Rock and Rollah (among others) is a 5ht dgree blackbelt in Judo and the founder of the Dukes judo club, Lamb's Dojo and most recently the Metro Fight Club.

Walter and his brother grew up competing in Judo and learning from many Judo legends (Ishikawa to name but one). When Walter finished his competitive career he began instucting and has since had many students become successfull in many different fighting styles.

I'm gonna defer the Dan Severn entry to TrainJudo. However, since I answered one I'll leave ya one:

Rob's gym - ...
9/25/08 4:09 PM
jokerman13922

Rob's gym - ... is this razor robs gym ultimate training center out of hunington beach cali hunington Dan Severn- and his real name is Daniel "The Beast" Severn (born June 8, 1954 he has fought in a number of big events , pride, kotc, wec, gladiator challenge, and even wec. was a four time all american at arizona. and he was the first pro wrestler to cross over to the ufc. ufc 4 was his comin out fight he lost to royce gracie by triangle choke. he was also forest griffins first fight. Tank Abbott - Rickson Gracie-
9/25/08 4:25 PM
DaveGarcia

Jokerman, the thread is Michigan MMA Encyclopedia, the entry for Dan Severn is acceptable but the Rob's gym mentioned is also in Michigan.  Also, do Tank and Rickson have any specail connection to Michigan MMA?
9/25/08 4:41 PM
jokerman13922

ok ok they dont have any thing to do with mich so heres two RONIN - AND THE BEAN
9/25/08 5:55 PM
BadBradBurrick

Ha ha, I never know this thread would be so difficult.
9/25/08 5:58 PM
jokerman13922

you can not answer these two questions
9/25/08 6:07 PM
BadBradBurrick

I have no idea on Rob's gym.  Can't say I have heard of that one.
9/25/08 10:29 PM
BigMike77
25 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

BadBradBurrick -  I have no idea on Rob's gym.  Can't say I have heard of that one.

same
9/25/08 11:05 PM
TrainJudo

Rob's Gym was connected with the Gomez Academy. If you had to make weight for something it's where you would check your weight, etc...They would make protein shakes for ya after workouts..Not the kind steven lopez drinks.
9/25/08 11:06 PM
TrainJudo

Edited: 09/26/08 12:56 PM
"HE POPPED THE CAPSULE!!!"  

9/26/08 7:50 AM
TheBean

TheBean that’s some fat kid.

Ronin - A bunch of guys working out of a garage. The head of this group is the soon to be Middle weight champ of KOTC
My two
MASH-

TCF-
9/26/08 8:08 AM
BadBradBurrick

Mash is a Michigan fight team that is headed by James Lee and one of the first in Michigan.  James Lee is currently a UFC fighter, previously the KOTC Light Heavy weight champion, Gladiator Challenge champion, and fought in Pride.  Mash has some of the top fighters in Michigan which fight in almost every promotion that there is.  NFL Michael Westbrook is a member of the team and fought under the banner.   Currently, Mash has openned a huge gym in Redford, Michigan. 

And I reject The Bean's definition of Ronin which isn't even the full name.

Isn't TCF a bank? 

My next one is Machine May
9/26/08 10:48 AM
dennisv
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TrainJudo - "HE POPPED THE CAPSULE!!!" 

I believe this is a slight misquote. It should be "He popped my capsule." This was screamed by Dan "The Wolfman" Theodore after his match at the 2000 Arnold Classic Grappling tournament. Dan did not tap, though. He did, however, wear a sleeveless gi, and later, walked around a bodybuilding expo shirtless, much to the dismay of all in attendance.

Machine May was a legend in MMA in Michigan. He owned a tanning salon. He once beat a man with a snow shovel. His life was chronicled in the movie "America Pie 2". He often saw ghosts. I was lucky enough to see him in a grappling match at Roop's once. He lost via choke to Al Williams. His head rivaled Tito's in size.

Dave Gomez is next.
9/26/08 10:53 AM
TheBean

Dennisv I thought that you were dead, Or is the rumor true that you got a new game and can't come out till you beat it.
9/26/08 11:16 AM
BadBradBurrick

Edited: 09/26/08 11:16 AM

Dave Gomez practiced traditional Martial Arts until he got involved in BJJ with the Gracies. He competed in a couple Mixed Martial Art compeitions. One of his matches was in Hook n Shoot. He had the first big BJJ schools in Michigan. He trained many the MMA fighters in Michigan at the time such as Jason Ireland, Angelo Popofski, Dave Knaggs, etc. Gomez’s later began a MMA promotion called the TFC Fightzone which started in Indiana and then came to Michigan. After just two shows in Michigan the show was forced to move to Ohio.  Gomez's school and promotion is no longer active.

Next one
Dan "The Wolfman" Theodore

9/26/08 12:20 PM
Angelo Popofski
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For images on Dan The Wolfman, go to the UG and look for the Gina Carano Open Training (pics) thread and start to play "where's wolfie?"
9/26/08 12:22 PM
Angelo Popofski
35 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Next, Brendan Seguin.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.