UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> breeds you are opposed to owning/would only own?

11/8/08 12:10 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
smileythai
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have to admit that labradors and airedales are really starting to grow on me. May end up with a house and yard full of badass working breeds!

11/11/08 1:29 PM
DiSmAnTLeR

i never even wanted a dog until my ex got a miniture pinscer.

six years later the dogs here, but the ex is gone.

hes a lot of work, bad with strangers and kids, has bitten me multiple time, used to pee in the house etc..etc..but i would cut out my still beating heart to give to him if needed.

i dont recommend min pins to people but i would definalety get another or clone my little guy.
11/14/08 7:18 PM
Caderona

I would only own American Pit Bull Terriers if it weren't so expensive to own them($150 annual fee to own them where I live) I have one male, but I would love to get a female.

Other top choices I want:
Catahoula Leopard Dog
Great Dane
Labrador Retriever

Would never own:
Poodle
Dachshund
Chihuahua
Pomeranian
11/15/08 7:36 AM
smileythai

Caderona - I would only own American Pit Bull Terriers if it weren't so expensive to own them($150 annual fee to own them where I live) I have one male, but I would love to get a female.

Fucked up! Anyone fighting it?
11/15/08 11:17 AM
Caderona

smileythai - 
Caderona - I would only own American Pit Bull Terriers if it weren't so expensive to own them($150 annual fee to own them where I live) I have one male, but I would love to get a female.

Fucked up! Anyone fighting it?

Actually, this is better than most of the cities around us here in Little Rock, Arkansas. They are completely banned around most surrounding cities, and will be seized and euthanized if caught within city limits.

Here, you have to get your dog registered for about 50 bones, micro chipped, get a picture taken with your dog, pay an annual 150.00 fee just for owning it, AND you have to put a fucking sticker on a window of your house facing the street that says we own a dangerous breed. They also say you have to muzzle him and keep them on a leash at all times, but fuck that--there have only been a handful of people that have said anything to me, and it's usually ignorant women who are afraid of dogs.

Oh well, what can you do. To me it's well worth it--my dog is like a son to me, and I will do whatever it takes to keep him. Pitbulls are the best dogs to own IMO. I have never owned a dog that is so gentle, loving, and loyal.
11/15/08 12:22 PM
smileythai

Caderona - Here, you have to get your dog registered for about 50 bones, micro chipped, get a picture taken with your dog, pay an annual 150.00 fee just for owning it, AND you have to put a fucking sticker on a window of your house facing the street that says we own a dangerous breed. They also say you have to muzzle him and keep them on a leash at all times, but fuck that--there have only been a handful of people that have said anything to me, and it's usually ignorant women who are afraid of dogs.

Oh well, what can you do. To me it's well worth it--my dog is like a son to me, and I will do whatever it takes to keep him. Pitbulls are the best dogs to own IMO. I have never owned a dog that is so gentle, loving, and loyal.
No, fuck the BSL communism you're living under. Again I ask, are you fighting it? Is anyone doing anything? 

*horrified*

11/15/08 1:52 PM
Caderona

smileythai - No, fuck the BSL communism you're living under. Again I ask, are you fighting it? Is anyone doing anything? 

*horrified*

We were able to write letters and sign petitions that were mailed to the state--about a year ago a federal lawsuit was filed against the state of Arkansas by ROADS- Responsible Owners of Arkansas Dogs and they have been fighting this for a pretty long time. I really haven't heard anymore news since January of last year.

http://www.roadsinc.org/directornotes.aspx

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=eb03bbaa-2a69-4cae-8f93-20c51726acb2&rss=315
11/16/08 12:18 AM
MikeD

My original list:

MikeD -

Breeds I'd own (off the top of my head):

Rat Terrier
Jack Russell Terrier
Patterdale Terrier
Labrador
APBT/AST
GSD
Border Collie
Boston Terrier
French Bulldog

My current list:

Labrador Retriever
APBT/AST
Rhodesian Ridgeback
Weimeraner
Doberman
11/17/08 3:33 PM
Midleah

11/18/08 2:20 PM
Ceelopez
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Im a Giant breed fan... so with that heres my list of dogs I would own...

Akita - Currently own
Cane Corso - Will Own
Tosa Inu
Dogo Argentino
Alano Espanol
Presa Canario

Bull Terrier
French Bulldog
Thai Ridgeback
Rodesian Ridgeback
12/18/08 3:04 PM
LordZaj

I have always had, and will always have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are the most awesome dogs ever.
12/18/08 3:44 PM
MikeZev
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

interesting. I've met a couple cool ridgebacks.
12/22/08 10:45 AM
wiley

I love my 2 greyhounds. Their athletic looking, mellow in the house, friendly, not to energetic, doesn't require long walks (though I walk mine daily for 45mins).

I've had Dalmations, and also lived with a Blue Tick Coon Hound and by far the Hound was and still is the wackiest dog you could own. They have non-stop energy. My brother rescued it before it was going to be put down after it was returned to the SPCA several times. Hence its name is "CHANCE". A hunting dog in the city is no way to go. The Dalmations were awesome once they got out of the puppy phase. When I owned them I was a long distance runner and they were my running mates everyday for 1hr at a quick pace.

Greyhounds are the way to go!
12/22/08 2:04 PM
MikeD

A lab is still my ideal dog. Hopefully when we get a bigger place I'll get one.
2/8/09 4:14 AM
VectorWegaLives

Edited: 02/08/09 4:14 AM
 I would own:

Doberman (on my wish list)
Chihuahua - smooth hair (currently own)
Miniature Pinscher

I would own but have no intentions to because i have in the past:

Border Collie
Cocker Spaniel
Australian Shephard

On the fence:
Papillon - definitely a girl dog, and looks so fu-fu.  But can also look pretty cool..plus I like that they are intelligent, protective/tough (for a toy dog), and rare...would have to make sure and groom it to look less fu-fu.
German Shephard - need to know more about it's disposition..at this point, would much rather have a Doberman anyways.

Nope:
St. Bernard - too big, slobbery, shedding, and probably wouldn't even keep you that safe
Pitbull - too great of a liability.. not a good guard dog (relative to other "tough" breeds), don't like the look
Rottweiler - too big, too much of a liability, don't like the look
Bulldog - too slobbery and ugly (albeit in a cute way)
Great Dane - way too big for inside
Husky - too great of a liability, not a good guard dog, too hot in TX
Chow Chow - fu-fu looking but also a great liability
Boxer - not my thing
Dachsund - Do I need to explain
Bull Mastiff - too big and not my thing
Collie - a little fu-fu and not my thing
Yorkies/Poodles/Pomeranians - the fu-fu'est of all fu-fu dogs
Labrador  - owned as a child but too big overall for me

2/8/09 8:28 AM
MikeD

Interesting list, mate.
2/18/09 9:17 AM
MikeZev
48 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

elaborate a little wizzy
2/18/09 6:53 PM
VectorWegaLives

wizzy - what gets me about people and their preference of dogs is that they forget that the original reason for taming canines in the first place was for utilitarian reasons, i.e. early warning sentries, hunting, and security. later, people used dogs as purely work animals in the form of sled dogs.

dogs that are good watchdogs are serving a purpose. lazy ass dogs like Rhodesian ridgebacks that don't even bark and are owned by people who never go hunting with them are pretty much just sucking oxygen away.

Breeds like Dalmatians and Cocker spaniels and chows, dobermans, rotts, pits, should not ever be bred as far as I am concerned. I used to have 200 dogs by the way. Alaskan huskies are great dogs for work. Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes, so-called "purebred" dogs, are just about worthless for work purposes.

there are too many people with all these dogs and cats propagating a horrible business and lifestyle that degenerates itself into sick, uncared for mutts that end up in shelters as well as vicious, inbred mongrels that end up killing people.
Wait.  Why shouldn't Doberman's be bred?  Originally they were bred to be security dogs. I may have a problem with their original breeding, but that is the past.  They exist, so why not breed them?  They are a consensus top 3 guard dog.  If you've lived where I have lived, if there is a job you need a dog for it's to be a guard dog.  So I don't understand your problem with them.  As for breeds like cocker spaniels, these make great family pets.  Sure, they don't do shit but if treated right they serve a purpose as a member of the family.  I don't see any problem with that.

I do agree about pit bulls.  While I'm sure they can make a great family pet, they add too much liability for serving a purpose that most other breeds can serve anyways.  As a guard dog, Pit bulls are crap compared to other breeds.

2/18/09 6:54 PM
VectorWegaLives

BTW, my brother just got a Rhodesian Ridgeback as a guard dog.  I don't know anything about the breed but he seems to think the dog is a really good guard dog.  I haven't met it, but he says it's already bigger than his black lab which is pretty damn big IMO.
2/19/09 12:06 PM
Jeepster
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Dalmations have been poorly bred over the yaers and can be untrustworthy. Same with cockers and most overly popular breed.
2/19/09 9:54 PM
MikeD

Who really works there dog besides guys on the OG?

Like what, .05% of dog owners?
2/27/09 8:41 PM
beerbelly
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am a big fan of Miniature Schnauzers. Great for keeping assorted rodents out of the house and yard. Bred for killing small mammels.
3/14/09 12:14 AM
Cha0s008
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I own a Golden Retriever and a German Shepherd as of now, and both are great dogs.

As for dogs that I wouldn't own.... I would have to say anything under 15 pounds. I just don't like really small dogs for some reason.
3/17/09 12:44 AM
Cha0s008
63 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 03/17/09 12:46 AM
wizzy - I can tell you exactly why they should not be bred, because they are so inbred that they carry disease and traits that should not be continued. I don't understand why people hold dogs in such regard, most of the people I know who have dogs neglect them pretty badly, they leave them out in the yard for days at a time.

What the hell are you talking about?And why don't you get some statistics about people leaving them in their yards instead of spewing your anecdotal evidence of "most people that you know do it". And if most people "you know" are as bright as you I'm not surprised in the least bit.
3/17/09 11:02 AM
MikeZev

inbreeding itself does not PRODUCE disease or genetic traits, like any other breeding it merely passes them on.

you sound remarkably uninterested and uninformed about dogs for someone who owned 200 of them.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.