UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> breeds you are opposed to owning/would only own?

3/27/11 5:37 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
murphy365
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Would own:
Jack Russel Tarrier-best dog I've owned (even though mine was almost cat-like) 
Bull Tarrier 
Great Dane
Schnauzer- standard (boxing trainer had a few)
Fox Tarrier-smooth
Pharaoh Hound (good friend has one, take it for long runs)

Would not own:
Blue tick- or any "coon hound" too much stupid energy (they are quite stupid with lots of energy)
Husky- lots of energy, I like it warm out they have lots of insulation
St. Benard- lots of maintenance

on the fence: 
Pit Bull- have scared me (don't know why)
Mastiff (big and stubborn)

3/27/11 5:37 PM
murphy365

Would own:
Jack Russel Tarrier-best dog I've owned (even though mine was almost cat-like) 
Bull Tarrier 
Great Dane
Schnauzer- standard (boxing trainer had a few)
Fox Tarrier-smooth
Pharaoh Hound (good friend has one, take it for long runs)

Would not own:
Blue tick- or any "coon hound" too much stupid energy (they are quite stupid with lots of energy)
Husky- lots of energy, I like it warm out they have lots of insulation
St. Benard- lots of maintenance

on the fence: 
Pit Bull- have scared me (don't know why)
Mastiff (big and stubborn)

3/27/11 6:07 PM
BigEyedFish

My mastiff is not stubborn in the least. Ive never heard of anyone describing my breed of mastiff as stubborn.
3/27/11 6:13 PM
BigEyedFish

Would own:

Rottweiler
Mastiff
French Bulldog
Malinois
Border Terrier - I really want one of these guys

Wouldnt:

Bernese M - Love em but too short lifespan
Airedale
Lab/Retriever - Too common
Husky/Malamute
4/6/11 3:19 PM
mudbone
26 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

We got a Boston about 3 weeks ago from a rescue group that only handles Bostons.

He is four years old and awesome. Great with my kids, and loves our 15 year old cat already.
4/6/11 3:26 PM
BigEyedFish

^ good for you.  I love my Boston she is the sweetest thing in the world

4/11/11 3:17 PM
Morgz
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

murphy365 - Would not own:
 There are several types of Coonhounds (Bluetick, Black and Tan, Redbone, etc.) -- all of them have moderate, to relatively low energy levels.  As far as being "stupid", I would say "stubborn" is a more accurate word.  They do take a lot more work than some breeds, but they are far from stupid.  They are also super laid back and mellow, until they get on a scent.
4/11/11 5:05 PM
BigEyedFish

"Seems as tho your looking at dogs as more of a popularity thing, not owning a retriever simply because they are too common isn't really the way you want to be thinkign when looking for the type of dog for you."

Not really. With all of the options, I dont really see what the big deal is wanting a dog that is a little more interesting and dynamic than a lab. Plus there is a huge infiltration of shitty bloodlines with labs especially, due to every lab owner and his brother breeding them to shit. They just dont interest me. I wanted a dog for home deterrence. Do you think a lab is good for deterring would be intruders? So I bought a way better dog than a lab for this function.

"Chesepeake Bay Retreivers are gorgeuos dogs, and are infact pretty rare. If your looking into your first puppy, and don't mind a dog that will get farely big in size, then Retrievers are an excellent choice."

I love chessies, but disagree 100% on you with recommending them for someone's first pup. They can develop significant dominance issues if you are not experienced with raising/socializing/training potential large, powerful, and dominant breeds.
5/6/11 1:49 AM
othree
148 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mastiff's are stubborn? Crazy.

I've had two mastiff's in my lifetime, as well as been around dozens of others, and they are by far the easiest dog to work with once any dominance issues(rare) are sorted. It is of my experience that so long as they understand their place, their only goal is to make sure you're happy with their decisions.
5/6/11 5:32 PM
BigEyedFish

mine isnt stubborn at all
5/11/11 5:52 PM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I can't believe nobody has mentioned pointers yet. They are great dogs. High enegy but super chill in the house, mine is a couch potatoe.
5/12/11 8:52 AM
angrypirate
15 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 05/12/11 8:52 AM
Photobucket
5/12/11 8:54 AM
angrypirate

Photobucket
5/12/11 8:55 AM
angrypirate

Photobucket
6/27/11 3:16 AM
billyfnjack

I had purebred black labs growing up. Great dogs, although they developed multiple problems(ie: skin problems, cancer. At the moment I have 2 mix breeds 1) GSD+Collie+Golden Retriever and 2) GSD+Black Lab+Border Collie. With mixed breeds IMO you get the best of all dog breeds in one. So much healthier and smarter. Don't get me wrong I love all dogs PB or Mixed I just have a soft spot for Rescue Dogs.
6/27/11 4:05 PM
Morgz
207 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

billyfnjack -  Don't get me wrong I love all dogs PB or Mixed I just have a soft spot for Rescue Dogs.

that's cool and good on you for supporting rescue -- but don't forget there are also plenty of purebred rescues too.  
8/30/11 10:32 PM
Dryfly

Currently have and plan on always having a Vizsla.

Would also like another English Pointer at some point, as I have had one in the past.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.