UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> mixing foods?

9/29/08 8:35 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For about two months now we've been feeding Wellness kibble. Everything seems fine with it, but I'd like to supplement some wet food in the morning feed. I bought about seven cans of various Blue Wilderness wet food. Then, I realized they are all different protein sources and different from what's in his kibble.

Does anyone see mixing of dry/wet protein sources as a problem?

I only ask because I've heard mixing protein sources when feeding raw can cause gastro distress.

As always, thanks for thoughts and help.
9/29/08 11:24 PM
smileythai

Why mix in wet food as a supplement?

9/30/08 7:23 AM
MikeD

Because he told me he wanted some.
9/30/08 9:12 PM
smileythai

Edited: 09/30/08 9:21 PM
MikeD - Because he told me he wanted some.
What the boss wants the boss gets, huh? lol

But seriously, why not supplement with chicken or meat? Wal-mart sells 10lb bags of chicken quarters for about $4.30/bag. 2-3 bags should last your a long time with a small dog.

As well, Martin's K-9 sells a variety of meat including organs and blends. Not real cheap(shipping sucks!) but it's an option you might consider, at least as a price comparison for your local butcher or wholesale store. http://www.martinsk9formula.com/

I'm still trying to locate a source of high quality fish meal. Whenever I do I'll share it. 
10/1/08 9:59 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Mike it shouldnt be a problem unless your dog has allergies. Single protein foods really help you guage what, if anything the dog is allergic to. Other supplements that jazz up a dogs food a little are Salmon oil, sea kelp, plain yogurt or maybe some raw veggies (no onion).

Real meat is a great option that dogs LOVE. if you are going to feed raw, be very wary of where you get your meat from, only trust a vendor that you KNOW gets his meat from a reputable source that SHIPS the meat properly. This is the biggest p[roblem with most meat in its raw state, it gets shipped in less than optimal conditions (temp) and gives bacteria and plenty of other nasties the opportunity to flourish. If i feed the dogs chicken i boil it first.

10/1/08 8:29 PM
MikeD

I'm not interested in raw at this point. I don't know enough about it and am not willing to put in the time to learn either.

The canned food I bought wasn't as high quality as I thought, at least according to DFA. I haven't used any, so I'll probably take it back. I boiled up a chicken breast tonight. I'l shred it after it cools and throw some of that in or use it as a training treat - not sure which yet.
10/8/08 5:55 PM
MikeD

Homeboy liked the chicken as a training treat, but I think the preferred cheese and hot dog.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.