UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Canuck's spectacular butternut squash soup!

9/30/08 9:35 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
canuck34
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love making this stuff in the fall. Healthy, tastes great and warms you up on a cold day. Easy to make too!

Here you go.

Buy a medium to large sized butternut squash and 4 of your favorite type of apples. Cut squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds. You can roast the seeds if you like. Peel and core the apples. Chop up half a sweet onion, some ginger and two cloves of garlic.

Fill space made from scouping out the seeds with chopped onion, a bit of chopped ginger and one small clove of garling in each. Place them "meat" side down on an oiled cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. After the first 40 minutes, add the 4 peeled and cored apples to the pan.

Remove from the oven when done and the skin of the squash should peel off easily. Cut squash and apples into chunks and place in a blender with the onions, ginger and garlic. You'll likely have to do one half of the squash in the blender at a time. To each half, add 1 cup of vegetable stock. Blend and pour the soup into a large pot. Repeat with other half.

Simmer in the pot for about 30 minutes or so.

Enjoy!
9/30/08 9:45 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds good, I'll try it!
10/7/08 9:16 AM
Columi
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doing this today...have you thought about adding toasted pine nuts? I love the way the flavor of the nuts and squash pair together...
10/21/08 9:25 AM
The Gimp
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I love butternut squash soup.

I do mine two ways:

1) Pure squash soup: roast the squash, then remove the skin and put the pulp into a pot along with about 1 cup of water. Puree with immersion blender. Season with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. The consistency should be thick, like pea soup. The pure squash taste is really, really good. Simple and delicious!

2) Coconut curry squash soup: While the squash is in the oven, fry a tablespoon of prepared panang curry paste over medium heat until fragant. Add in about 1/2 cup of coconut cream (or coconut milk) and cook gently for about 20 minutes. Season with fish sauce and sugar. When the squash is done put the pulp into a medium pot with a bit of water. Thin with coconut milk instead of water -- how much? Depends on how rich you like it. Finish by adding in the curry and puree. It's a silkier, creamier version of soup #1 with a bit of spice to it.
10/21/08 7:24 PM
guy1
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2) Coconut curry squash soup: While the squash is in the oven, fry a tablespoon of prepared panang curry paste over medium heat until fragant. Add in about 1/2 cup of coconut cream (or coconut milk) and cook gently for about 20 minutes. Season with fish sauce and sugar. When the squash is done put the pulp into a medium pot with a bit of water. Thin with coconut milk instead of water -- how much? Depends on how rich you like it. Finish by adding in the curry and puree. It's a silkier, creamier version of soup #1 with a bit of spice to it.

wow, awesome
11/8/08 3:37 PM
crescentwrench
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/08/08 3:36 PM
 I made the coconut curry soup, but with canuck's apples and some leftover carrots to roast along with the squash.  If it wasn't so hot I would have turned up the pot and dumped the entire batch into my gullet.  I put in a little sour cream for the wife to cut back some heat and found I liked it too so that's how I'm topping off the bowls. 

Also, I'm going to add a bit more curry paste and fish sauce to some of the soup, and maybe a little soy to turn this into a curry gravy.  Then throw in some diced chicken to simmer in the gravy and spoon over rice.  It's only 2:30 though, damn.  I might have an early dinner. 

11/26/08 9:49 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

So I made it, if you like Squash it's probably good.

I just wanted to try it to see if Squash was edible in soup form... it's not. We gave it to the neighbors and they liked it though.
11/27/08 11:25 AM
canuck34
55 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol at making squash soup if you don't like squash!

Crescent...that sounds GOOD! I'm making my soup again this weekend, but I'll save some for Sunday night dinner and use it the way you mentioned.
11/28/08 10:34 AM
Tys

Turnip is shit too, have any good turnip recipes?
11/30/08 10:05 AM
crescentwrench
245 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

lol, just drown them in pepper sauce.

btw that was a good chicken chicken curry that it made.  I made it spicy as hell.
1/19/09 10:02 AM
canuck34

Here is another soup for you. Made this last week and it may be the best tasting soup I've ever had.

1. Boil a decent amount of heirloom carrots, sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, parsnips in low sodium vegetable or chicken stock. Add some spices (I used fresh cilantro, oregano and some corriander)

2. In a sperate pan, fry up some onion, red peppers, ginger and a bit of garlic.

3. Once The onions and peppers are nicely fried, add them to the other veggies.

Blend. Enjoy.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.