UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Anybody using V-Drums?

9/30/08 12:31 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
BarkLikeADog
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Rockband roped me back in & I'm thinking of buying another electronic set. I had the first two Simmons kits way back when & they sucked ass, lol.

Here are my questions:

-What do you have & do you like it?

-If I get the $1000 kit, can I upgrade the gear slowly to the $6K kit as I get the cash, & what order am I going to have to do it in to see any benefit, OR are all the pads brain specific? I'm presuming I have to upgrade the brain first to be responsive to the top of the line pads?

-How often do you have to service the mesh pads?

Thanks in advance.
10/2/08 6:08 PM
Thelonious

I have an older kit that I don't play much. To be honest, I've never gotten comfortable with the bounce of the heads and the hi hats don't feel right, but the newer models are better. It's better than any electric drum I've played, but it eventually turned into a practice kit for independence stuff later at night. I don't trust it enough to play out of the house because fast double stroke rolls and orchestral rolls don't track well

That said, I've been looking at the newer models because I'm going to have a baby in the house soon and will need to keep volumes down. My advice is to get the best brain you can afford off the bat and add to it, td-9,10,12 or 20. Also if you are going to learn on the v-drums, invest in a good practice pad and work on some stick control away from the mesh pads.

I guess my advice is, if you really want an electric set spend the money on a good one, but if you are looking to play the drums why not go pick up an old 4 piece like a pearl export on the cheap and play the shit out of it. Then you can really personalize he sound and feel of the kit to your liking.
10/2/08 7:11 PM
BarkLikeADog

^The only homes available in Vegas are McMansions with exactly 6 feet between & HOAs from hell, so a real kit is not an option. Mine is a rental so I can't soundproof a room for now.

Again, I had the first Simmons pads so I'm aware of the control issue. Those were just the thinnest coating of rubber on a hunk of wood, lol.

I played the $1000 kit for about 10 minutes & hated hated hated the cymbals, but the mesh snare was like a new universe to my old ass.

Thanks.
10/5/08 3:20 PM
Racer X
47 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I want one bad. I have to get the mesh heads because the solid type pads fuck up my wrists(I'm prone to CTS,tendonitis type of thing).

I've gotten the same advice; best brain and build the kit as you can afford.
10/5/08 6:10 PM
BarkLikeADog

I bought the $1200 kit yesterday (just the mesh snare) & ordered the nice brain. I'll probably stick with the junky rubber kick 'cause my leg just doesn't feel it, unless someone can tell me why I should go for the mesh one.

Also didn't notice much difference between the junky hat & the good one between brains, other than the look of having it on a real hihat stand.

Anyone??? Are my legs just dumb?
11/19/08 9:38 PM
Thelonious

I decided on the TD-9. I'm actually surprised how good these things have gotten. I still find the mesh heads can't properly track orchestral rolls, but I've yet to have it miss any double stroke rolls. Playing at home it is rare that I would even use an orchestral roll, so it hasn't bothered me at all.

The biggest surprise is how well the new hi hats work. I went for the better hi hat model and think it's worth the extra money, but they may be specific to the way I play. I ghost a lot on the hi hat when I'm playing the ride or bell, and need to be able to heel hit the hi-hat and make sound for jazz. I definitely think the hi hat was essential, but that might be a personal preference. Also the btter ride is essential in my opinion because then you have a bell, bead ride and can shoulder hit the ride cymbal. Being able to push into the ride and get a different tone is much more realistic in my opinion

I did not get the mesh bass drum head. While the rubber feels like I'm hitting a brick wall, it's wasn't really effecting how I play and I'm getting used to it. I've noticed I do have to warm up my pedal foot for a short while on an acoustic kit when I'm playing outside of the house though.

The most surprising thing to me is how hassle free it is to record with in my studio. I don't think I will ever use an acoustic again for personal recording. If I was to publish something, I would definitely use the acoustic set to sound less digital, but for my own stuff not having to mic and less mixing means less time in my cave downstairs.

Count me as someone who has totally reversed his opinion of these things, they are slowly becoming an adequate replacement for acoustic sets. How is yours working BarkLikeADog?
11/20/08 6:02 AM
BarkLikeADog

Mine was a weird combo of the TD-9 hardware & the TD-3 brain. The brain is junky & the pads I'm upgrading as the budget's available; yesterday I bought the big 12" snare that comes with the TD-20.

Mostly I'm using the whole thing as an interface for Rockband & Guitar Hero World Tour for now & probably until I finish upgrades with the brain from the 20. The 3 brain can't track most of what the pads have to offer, but honestly it's all a giant step up from the 1st generation Simmons kits I learned on.
11/25/08 3:08 AM
BarkLikeADog

^Got my first Rockband leaderboard #1 this weekend with that setup. PD-125 feels awesome for an electronic. I've had real snares that weren't as comfortable. You get what you pay for, in this case.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.