UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Buffalo meat

9/30/08 7:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
voorhees
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Anybody eat or cook buffallo?

I am interested in hearing any opinions on how it tastes,safe quality stores and/or websites to buy it from,recipes,etc...

Thanks.
9/30/08 9:43 PM
crescentwrench
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/01/08 1:47 PM
 Noone in America that I'm aware of.  

Buffalo, Bubalus bubalis

American Bison, Bison bison

Now get it right!   I'm yust keeding, everyone calls it buffalo.  But it's wrong.

Bison is leaner and has a stronger flavor than regular ol' beef.  But it's not so strong that you could call it gamey, like a wild animal.  Most supermarkets have at least ground bison on hand, the larger ones should have whole cuts.  The Wegmans I went to had almost as many bison cuts of meat as they did beef.  

I don't treat it really any differently from beef.   
10/1/08 8:22 AM
Tys
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Smoked a couple of roasts and a steak this summer... the steak was a bad idea, but the roasts were amazing.

We had wrapped the roasts in bacon because they were so lean. I'm itching to try some deer and moose on the smoker now.
10/2/08 11:31 PM
Mark1

We used to do venison tenderlion on the charcoal grill for Lomitos sandwiches.  Terrific with a little homemade chimichurri.

Mark
10/24/08 7:21 PM
screwtop wine
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

crescentwrench -  Noone in America that I'm aware of.  

Buffalo, Bubalus bubalis

American Bison, Bison bison

Now get it right!   I'm yust keeding, everyone calls it buffalo.  But it's wrong.

Bison is leaner and has a stronger flavor than regular ol' beef.  But it's not so strong that you could call it gamey, like a wild animal.  Most supermarkets have at least ground bison on hand, the larger ones should have whole cuts.  The Wegmans I went to had almost as many bison cuts of meat as they did beef.  

I don't treat it really any differently from beef.   

http://www.versuscountry.com/itemdetail.aspx?id=2593

Their out there. Was talking to a buddy in Chicago who is considering heading to Florida to hunt buffalo.
10/25/08 12:04 PM
crescentwrench
302 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow, shipping in buffalo to hunt in Florida.  Damn.  Well if he bags one then he will indeed be eating buffalo meat.  But everything you get at the store is going to be bison. 

If he goes make sure he lets you know if he can tell a difference in the meat. 
12/3/08 12:45 AM
Jay-dog

^ Seems like it would be a canned hunt. Unfortunetly that stuff happens alot in Florida.
12/4/08 9:46 AM
canuck34
69 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've eaten Bison many times. Love it.

Like a steak, but leaner...yet still incredibly flavorful.

I usually will have either steak or make burgers.
12/7/08 3:14 PM
hauchinango

canuck34 - I've eaten Bison many times. Love it.

Like a steak, but leaner...yet still incredibly flavorful.

I usually will have either steak or make burgers.

Ditto...

Just cook it a bit quicker than you would beef, as it is very lean and will dry out a bit if cooked on the well done side.
12/8/08 11:27 AM
MikeZev
59 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

wheres mullet on this thread??
9/16/09 7:43 PM
Fracture
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

had buffalo steaks , seasoned with salt only. dont cook more than med but med rare is preferred since not alot of fat in the meat.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.