UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Peavey

10/2/08 1:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
DonkeyKick215
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I have a 1978 T-60 I picked up for $150 in a pawn shop that rivals $1000 guitars. I have 2 Patriots that I bought for around $100 each. Fun to play

I have a Blues Classic amp that has a 15 inch speaker and sounds fantastic. I have a 1981 Bandit amp that sounds great.

I just made this thread because I love Peavey and i think they are very underrated on the used market. Dont know much about their new line of products.
10/5/08 9:18 AM
grapple God
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I perviously had a peavey Classic 20 tweed amp that was simply amazing but I needed just a bit more volume so I now have a Peavey Delta Blues. The Delta Blues is 30 all tube watts through a single 15 inch speaker with reverb and built in tremelo. It is a big beutiful tweed monster and I could not ask for a better amp. Peavey makes some really great and highly underated stuff.
10/5/08 2:09 PM
Nostradumbass
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL! The Peavy T-60. Don't you mean it rivals other guitars that weigh 1000 lbs? I remember that being a very heavy axe. A repairman once told me his angry wife took his and cut it in half on his table saw. That was quite a feat!

I no longer own an Peavey gear. I sold my 5150 and my TKO80 a while back....
10/5/08 3:17 PM
Racer X
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

^ Probably ruined the blade on that table saw!

I used to work with a guy that gigged all the time with an early eighties Peavey Bandit , I think it was a 75W model.

All I could get out of it was muddy,dull tones. But he knew how to play the controls to get a great tone for just about anything.

The T-60 and it's bass counterpart, the T-40, were generally solid if utilitarian beasts, sort of in the same way a Tele was in the early days. Cons?: GIANT pickguard,like a canoe paddle,aluminum nut not so good for tuning, slim,fast neck, but a little narrow for the shred guys who like a slim,fast neck. Pros: GOOD price,interesting electronics in that the tone and volume controls are VERY interactive. The tone control is tied to the junction between the coils.So at one end of rotation, the pickup is a humbucker but, at the other end of rotation, it operates as a single-coil.  But the really cool part of the design was that by using a pot instead of a switch, you could blend the sound from humbucker to single-coil.  So you could have a Hum-coil or Single-bucker or whatever you want to call it. Brilliant!
10/6/08 1:46 PM
DonkeyKick215
12 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"aluminum nut"

Actually a zinc topnut-chromed
10/7/08 8:18 AM
T-Man

Most Peavey stuff is rock solid and best for the price, but my Vypyr is fucked and I'm taking it back.

If it weren't so buggy it would be the best buy around.
10/7/08 12:44 PM
Racer X
54 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Actually a zinc topnut-chromed"

If the early ones were chromed I never saw it. Zinc or aluminum, either way a cruel joke of a material to make a nut from. Tone sucks as well as tuning stability compared to bone brass or graphite.
11/14/08 8:56 AM
sifu michael

About a billion years ago, my first bass was a T-40. I stuck with Peavey for years thereafter; the B90 and the Axcellerator were two of my favorite basses. I've owned a dozen Peavey amps, too...always solid, workmanlike stuff that never let me down at a gig.

When I finally went high-dollar and switched to SWR amps, I loved the tone, but they were far too fragile for the money.

I haven't owned a Peavey instrument in years, though. My bass is a Schecter and my guitar is an Ibanez.
11/22/08 2:34 PM
DonkeyKick215

I just picked up another dirty little 1983 T-60 in sunburst for $100 from a pawnshop. AFter taking it for a $50 setup it plays killer. Its lighter than my other 1978 T-60. This one has a plastic nut

Where else can you get an American made Vintage Player for $100.

Johnny Copeland and Carl Perkins cant be wrong.
11/28/08 1:31 PM
Racer X

A guy brought me a newer Peavey Tele-ish style guitar for intonation adjustment the other day. Really nice guitar, and he got it used for $125,which seemed crazy cheap to me for what he got.
11/30/08 7:31 PM
DonkeyKick215

I think the newer tele copies are made in China. The older tele copies named "reactor" are made in the USA
12/1/08 4:45 AM
Racer X

Reactor, that was it. Hmm, maybe it wasn't as new as I thought, just well kept.
12/6/08 3:58 PM
DonkeyKick215

I am currently in the process of trading one of my T-60s for a 1995 reactor. It is a custom paint purple with black ghost flames

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.