UnderGround Forums

BJJGround Forum >> Teaching English in Brazil

10/5/08 1:22 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Werewolf1085
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I recall someone posting a thread about their company having people teach english in Brazil. Anyone have any information about that, possibly the original thread poster or the link to the thread would be very helpful
10/5/08 5:13 PM
Werewolf1085

ttt
10/5/08 7:41 PM
BJJSavate

Yeah..I'd like that info too...
10/5/08 11:46 PM
Werewolf1085

ttt
10/6/08 2:05 AM
wombat
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm down to hear about this too. Has anyone here done this?
10/6/08 7:40 AM
triangulo6

My roommate tried to get a job teaching english while we lived in Brazil. He took a certification course with oxford seminars before he left, and he has a bachelors in chemistry.

After 3 months of searching, taking qualification exams, and going to interviews he finally got discouraged and left. It's not as easy as you may think to get a job there.
10/6/08 12:45 PM
Werewolf1085

Any more information available about this? It would be greatly helpful.
10/6/08 7:15 PM
Werewolf1085

ttt
10/7/08 9:58 AM
LucaTony

I taught english in Rio for 6 months while I was living there. Before I left I took a TESL course at the local college. Then I printed of about 25 CV's and copy's of my dipolma. Once I was in Rio I Googled the addresses of all the english schools I could find and started walking around to them or takeing a bus to them. No joke I went to about 15 schools before I got offered a job. After that life was great in Rio I was making really good money for the amount of classes I was teaching. And the company I worked for had locations all over Rio so I got to take the bus to a lot of good neighborhoods and was a good way for me to use and practice my Portuguese. Towards the end of my time there I had picked up a couple of private lessons which helped me with added expenses. Also the school was so flexible on the hours I worked I taught in the morning from 7:30 to 9am I would go home eat then train. Go to the beach after training, and go eat again come home take a nap then 3 days a week I had night classes the other days I would train twice a day. If you guys have any questions let me know I will try my best to answer them.
10/7/08 10:55 AM
CJJScout
49 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Define "good money". Could I support my family or is it a single man's dream?
10/7/08 1:14 PM
SPARTAN 74
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt 
10/7/08 11:02 PM
LucaTony

my bad kinda vague huh...lol. What I meant by good money was a little bit more that R$1,000 a month but grant you I was only working about 8 to 9 hours a week tops. I could have taught a lot more but I really wanted to train as much as possible. And I had saved up some money before I went. CJJScout I don't think you could support your family on the standards you are use to living at in the USA with that money in Brazil. But for me it was enough, granted I was not going out at night I maybe ate out once or twice a month. I budgeted my money for rent, food, and tournaments..etc. But I agree finding the job was not as easy as I thought it would be. I went to a lot of schools before I found one that was hiring.
10/8/08 12:10 AM
y2shanny

Hey LucaTony...what was the name of the company you were with in Rio? Sounds like an ideal working situation. I'm hoping to get to Brazil to train/teach in a few months (getting CELTA and some cash together) but I'd rather emphasize the training part of the equation :)

Thanks for any help you can provide.
10/8/08 8:35 AM
marcovia

ttt
10/8/08 12:32 PM
shen
746 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've actually been planning on trying to do the exact same thing.

Been taking a 3-month long "intensive" Berlitz Spanish course after work to try and prepare.
10/8/08 1:48 PM
LucaTony

y2shanny i would be glad to give you the name pm me and ill give it to you. They were kind of illegaly paying me because I was on a tourist visa there. I just don't want to put them in a bad spot. I still have friends there. That is one other thing I forgot to mention is the visa situation. Relations are kind of strained with the USA and Brazil so they(Brazilian Immgration) will treat you the same way our government treat aliens. My wife is Brazilian so we worked a thing out where they paid my wife. Also you are only allowed to stay in the country for 180 days a year on the toursit Visa after that they start to fine you up to R$900 a year. If you leave the country for any reason they will not let you back in for 1 calender year from the date you left. It was a lot of hassle so just be aware.
10/8/08 5:08 PM
y2shanny

LucaTony, the apartheid system here is preventing me from PMing ya due to the color of my name, so I've sent a friend request thingy...thanks in advance for any info you can give me.

I have had a couple of friends go down there and they all said they were paid under the table (since an actual work visa is tough to come by)...my rough plan was 3 months of teaching/training, few months back home teaching ESL, and then back for another 3 months...seems like a pretty fun way to live your life (unless your goal is to make tons of money I suppose).

I'm also curious as to where you trained? I'm thinking a good setup would be something like Robert Drysdale's old school where he had some housing nearby and had a single fee for training/housing.
10/8/08 5:25 PM
LucaTony

Edited: 10/08/08 5:25 PM
I know this area where Robert's school was it is really far away from SP like 2 hours. The thing you have to think about is are there many english schools there. In the city of Sao Paulo would be better. I lived in Rio and trained at proably the best school and with IMO the best and most complete professor Ricardo Vieira at Fight Zone. My game has gone up many levels since then. I won the Rio state championships absolute at brown belt. And I can tell you this had a lot to do with the training there. They have more stars still actively training than any other place. Bob Esponga, Fifo, Ary, Guga, and many others. But back to TESL i would advise to move to one of the major cities.
10/8/08 6:23 PM
Werewolf1085

Hey LucaTony is it possible to get your email, i have a bunch of questions about teaching in Brazil and related stuff
10/8/08 8:20 PM
LucaTony

I just pm'ed it to you. I will do my best to answer any questions.
10/9/08 10:10 AM
Rolamos
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LOL @ shen as usual
They don't speak Spanish in Brazil shen..... they speak Brazilian!
10/9/08 10:56 PM
Mkoma

luca tony can you please email me, am0084@wayne.edu, I am realy interested in any information you have.

Thank You
Matt
10/10/08 11:13 AM
LucaTony

Mkoma you've got mail
10/12/08 12:40 AM
Werewolf1085

LucaTony, did you get my email?
10/12/08 2:16 PM
LucaTony

Werewolf1085 sorry bro busy weekend...I just sent you an e-mail.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.