UnderGround Forums

PhilosophyGround >> Those you know & those you don't know

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/6/08 9:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

This might be more of a question for a psychology ground but I thought to give it a shot.
What are the fundamental reasons behind people saying:

You'd treat a stranger better then someone in your family?

10/21/08 10:17 PM
sanguine cynic
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

who says that? Does that mean you SHOULD treat a stranger better than someone in your family, or is someone saying that in shock.

I don't understand the context.
10/25/08 3:18 AM
cape
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

you treat strangers/acquaintances with a sense of courtesy and (usually fake) nicety.  Whereas with your family and close friends, you tend to be much more brutally honest in both your words and actions.

Is this how you should be?  To an extent with the honesty in your words, yes, but for the most part you should be willing to do things for your family without too much coaxing.  The only time I've ever heard anything like that "saying" is as an insult of sorts directed specifically at a person, never as a general statement.
11/3/08 6:19 AM
Roly_Poly_Puppy
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sanguine cynic is right. Depends on context. Are you asking about what people generally do, or what they should do. Cause one is a question of history and psychology. The other of ethics.

Historically, humanity has treated those outside their close-knit circles with more brutality than those within them (even though cape might be onto something at a micro and civilized level).

An ethicist called Jonathon Glover wrote an entire book on this called Humanity: A moral history of the twentieth history, which covers this topic. I believe other philosophers like Singer also argue about "extending your moral circle" or something, which is supposedly to help against such brutality, but I can't remember the exact details. Someone else here might.
11/4/08 5:24 PM
770mdm
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I'm not a philosopher.  My father in law said this.  I asked because his little blanket piece of truth has been bugging me.  He said it because unfortunately my wife and I had an argument in front of him.  

Since he directed it at me, he was trying to point out a truth to get me to behave or something.  I felt like the message was that husbands and wives should ignore each other to get along.  Or that I should just always acquiece to his daughter.

I just didn't know how to react..Thanks-

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.