UnderGround Forums

MotorGround >> 08 Ninja 250R - What you guys think?

10/8/08 6:45 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
LetsTalkItOut
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just saw the new 250R Ninja and it looks awesome. Possibly looking into getting my first motorcycle and I always liked the full bodied bikes over bikes that looked naked. Unless there are other fully bodied entry motos out there I think this is my only choice.

What do you guys think of the 250R?
10/8/08 11:25 AM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Its new, looks good, beginner friendly and cheap. Very good choice as a first sportbike.

There is a hyosung 250r that is fully faired but I'd steer away because of quality/mechanical issues.
10/8/08 2:34 PM
Atecexa
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

have you owned one or just heard of others who have'nt owned one but had a cousin of a friend who had one?

I've got over 3k hard miles on my 250R without the slightest hiccup of an issue. The Nija 250R looks like a decent bike the only problem is availability, you see they don't really exist. It's just a marketing ploy to get you in the dealership and then buy a 500 or 650 or something else. j/k but finding one is a b*tch.

the hyosung/UM 250 is a great bike and it comes in a naked version or a fully faired R model with a digital speedo/trip and a more modern sport bike front end. the list on the R is $3999 and the naked is $3499 and you can definitely deal on one, try offering less than MSRP+ on a Ninja 250 and watch the guy laugh at you. oh and you can actually find them at bike dealers unlike the elusive Ninja
10/9/08 7:07 PM
LetsTalkItOut
28 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Hyosung actually does look good but never heard of them so I didn't think they were available in the US. I just heard about the Ninja 250R and then I was at my local college and I saw a red one parked. As I was leaving, the owner was on his way out. Looked real good.

How many mile would you guys say is common on sport bikes in general. Like 100k mi on a Civic is no big deal. How many miles are common on fairly used bikes generally?
10/9/08 8:40 PM
SlatstheFist
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ive heard differing views on the Hyosung. The biggest drawback seems to be the dealer network, and the claims of quality issues.

Ive only seen one first hand, but not real close. Theyre bigger than the ninja's, more around the size of a 600.

The 08 Hyosungs also have FI, which the NA ninja's do not. I guess not a great big deal, but still. Im thinking of looking at the Hyosungs myself, but I'd really like to talk to an owner of one and not just net reviews.
10/10/08 2:29 AM
LetsTalkItOut

Edited: 10/10/08 2:36 AM
Next step is to check out the bikes in person at the dealer.
10/10/08 11:09 AM
Atecexa

youre talking to one right now. granted i havent had it for 100k yet but have had it for 3 "learning" months so far and have not had the slightest issue. like i said before most of the "bad press" isn't even coming from actual owners.

the 250's are basically built off of the 650 chassis they also make. the 250 has a solid rectangular frame whereas the 650 has a dual tube type frame similar to a Ducati monster. the 250 is very very close in size to the 650 and rides almost indentical to it aside from the obvious difference of just under 80hp to 27hp.

"How many mile would you guys say is common on sport bikes in general. Like 100k mi on a Civic is no big deal. How many miles are common on fairly used bikes generally?"

Bikes are a whole different ballgame. Most people don't use a bike 12mo/yr like they do a car nor do most people who have long commutes to work do it solely on a bike. I have seen bikes with 100k on them and even one Hyabusa w/70k. Most bikes generally avg around 3k/yr. Up here in NE it's not uncommon to find a 2000 w still under 10k tho. Keep in mind also that the United Motors bikes are basically the same thing so if there is a UM dealer near you buy a UM, if there is a Hyo dealer nearby buy a Hyo...same bikes
10/10/08 10:29 PM
big_slacker
24 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I replied on the other thread about this but I will again because of the tone of your post. Yes, real owners have had problems with hyosung. Here, just a quick search on SBN:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/401686-my-250-600ss-experience.html

With that said, I don't wanna be the 'anti hyosung' guy. I don't give a shit if they're good or not because don't ride that type of bike and wouldn't be in the market. But, if my wife wanted to start riding I'd buy the ninja. Thats my take as an experienced rider. You want your bike to just work, all the time. And if it doesn't you want parts and service easily available. 
10/11/08 7:13 PM
Atecexa

my boss had a stater go bad on his 2 yr old CBR100RR. CBR's must be junk

i sold an Accord that blew a tranny a week later...avoid the Accord, bad car

i saw a 20k Pilot the other day in for an engine replacement, just avoid Honda in general

No machine is perfect and anything can break at anytime without notice, that's just how it is

My biggest problem with kawasaki and the 250R which really pissed me off was right in the heat of riding season no dealer in all of New England had a 250R and had no clue when any even an 09 would even be coming in and if you notice now that the popularity of the 250R picked up they jacked the price up almost 15% over one model year, while the 500 and 650 barely went up at all
10/12/08 10:27 AM
big_slacker

Make an apples to apples comparison. If honda brought over a new arm of its MC business to the US who had never previously been there, and released a brand new bike... And it had starter problems, then you might say it was junk.

The point is not that stuff can break on bikes, we know this. The point is hyosung is unproven. The bikes, the dealers, the parts network. The big 4 are. Ducati and triumph are even iffy in some areas. I wouldn't buy a duc either for the same reasons if that helps you get over the 'my bike' syndrome :)
10/13/08 9:10 PM
howsyourhead
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The ninja looks pretty cool. I race out at willow springs and last month they had the ninja 250 cup. BAsically a few people owned them that race, but majority I think rented them for the race from race bike rental. Even honda tester and racer Jeff Tigert was out on one having fun, but even he only turned a 1:41. Its would be great for a young kid or something with no sportbike experience for sure, but If you've ridden before It would get old quick IMO.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.