UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> rare is blue???

10/12/08 12:10 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
cbgrappler
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I ordered a surf and turf platter at a local restaurant and asked for my steak to be rare ... when it arrived and I cut into it , it looked like it had been thrown in the pan for a minute or so on each side and the inside was purple, a little too rare for me but I decided to eat in anyway. It turned out to be very good once I put it in my mouth but I just could not get over the look of it and ended up eating it fast ... lol

anyway, my question is: what should I be getting if I order rare? i had thought it would be fairly pink internally with a nice red strip in the middle but what I got at this restaurant wasn't even close to that

is rareness different depening on regional tastes?

10/13/08 2:37 PM
Mit
9 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When I used to work in a restaurant I always heard that blue rare was 15 seconds on each side.

I usually order steaks med rare. Blue is just kinda gross. When the steak is chilled on the inside still it grosses me out.
10/14/08 1:36 PM
crescentwrench
241 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yeah, pretty much that chart.  Your definition of rare would probably be medium rare.

There should be no differences by region though.  From conversations here and all around the webbernets there seems to be somewhat of a concensus on what the terms are.  The only argument is which one is best.  And the answer to that is anything but well-done.
10/15/08 12:00 PM
cbgrappler

thanks guys ...

I'm ordering med-rare from now on ...
1/31/09 10:17 PM
Tahiti Bo
61 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Retired, Tahuna
 If you order anything more cooked than medium rare, you might as well have  chuck steak.   Cooking (i.e. burning) the meat fully oxidizes everything, evaporates the natural juices, and generally makes all steak  taste the same... it's even a bigger shame if you do this to a steak that was aged.

Had steaks the other night with somebody at the best steakhouse in the city... guy had his well done and he says "this place has nothing on Texas Steakhouse"... well, very true if the steak is well done...
2/1/09 12:30 AM
Xtina

never heard the term "blue rare," but it looks delicous.
2/1/09 3:31 PM
rerox

you can order a steak "black and blue" or "pittsburgh"

which basically means charred on the outside and blue on the inside. I don't get it but to each their own...
2/1/09 5:46 PM
BaldTony
233 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

My sister and brother in law always order their steak blue. I'm convinced they only do it because the waiters and chefs complement them on their choice.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.