UnderGround Forums

Food & Wine Ground >> Non-stick pan recommendations?

10/16/08 2:50 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
paw
1304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Looks like my current 8" non-stick pan has had it.

Any reason to get something other than some brand-name one at a local store?

10/16/08 4:33 PM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

A coat hanger and aluminum foil.
10/16/08 7:35 PM
samichlaus
236 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Lincoln Centurion fry pans are really nice. I have a couple of their braizers, not non-stick, and love them. Stainless steel with a quarter-inch aluminum bottom.
10/16/08 7:45 PM
Tys
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Doesn't the non-stick stuff end up coming off on all of them?

I'd go with the coat hanger and aluminum foil, make sure it's a metal coat hanger you can survive in the wild forever with this set up.
10/17/08 8:57 PM
crescentwrench
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It won't come off for a long time if you treat them right.  That means coated utensils and not banging them around. 

They're all honestly in about three categories for me.  Thin pieces of shit you can roll into a tube, reasonably priced reasonably heavy, and high end premium probably more than I need. 

My usual MO on buying pans is simple.  Check the bottom to make sure it is either pretty thick all around or has a pretty thick disk on the bottom for heat retention/eveness.  I don't know that having thick walls all the way up the sides matters all that much, I never cook anything up there. 

Then, take it in your hand and give it a few swings.  Do you think you could kill someone in a single blow with it?  Then it's probably heavy enough to do a decent job.  If you can't brain a zombie it's not heavy enough.

Lastly, since my stovetop is glass panel, I put it on a their glass shelf and rock it.  If it is flat all around it passes.  Any clicks or tilts and it's rejected.  This won't matter if you have a gas stove though.  Sidebar - if you want your pans to stay unwarped never put your raging hot pan under the water to clean off.  Let it cool slowly.

I hit up TJ Maxx and places like that for all my pans.  Just gotta make sure the coating isn't chipped and the pan's not warped.   I got a giant 14" nonstick skillet there for like 20 bucks.  It's Rachel Ray with a hideous orange handle but it's a good pan.  I wouldn't pay attention so much to who made it as to how hefty and flat it is. 
10/18/08 9:34 AM
Midleah
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

"Then, take it in your hand and give it a few swings. Do you think you could kill someone in a single blow with it? Then it's probably heavy enough to do a decent job. If you can't brain a zombie it's not heavy enough."

I keep a few old-school iron skillets around for just that purpose.
10/18/08 10:48 AM
crescentwrench
237 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Yup, cast iron always passes that test.  That's why I love it so.  It's also a good rule for all pans, those thin $5 ones are for college kids and hot plates.  If you get those you may as well take Tys' advice.  Just double up the aluminum foil and you basically have those crap pans. 
10/20/08 2:44 PM
paw
1304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks crescentwrench!

11/2/08 10:56 AM
crescentwrench

If you have a Kohls I've seen those pans there too.  If they're on sale then Bloodbath and Beyond can be reasonable but the only time I pay full price there is if I have to buy something on a wedding registry.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.