UnderGround Forums

AcademicGround >> Chemistry Homework Questions

10/20/08 4:09 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
groundfighter2000
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Need help on two problems. The first is:

If 1.732g sulfamic acid were reduced with 1.40 g sodium nitrite, which compound would be the limiting reagent?

I converted grams of both reactants to moles and found sulfamic acid to be the limiting reactant.

The second part asks how many moles of nitrogen gas would be formed in the reaction described above.

the formula is:

HS03NH2+NaNO2->N2+NaHSO4+H20

(all digits are subscripts)
10/20/08 4:11 PM
groundfighter2000
424 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Second Problem:

If 481mL nitrogen gas were collected over water at 26 degrees celsius and 745 torr, how many moles of nitrogen are present in this sample?

I used the ideal gas law. First I converted torrs to atmospheres and celcius to kelvins. Then I plugged in.

The second part of the question asks: For the reaction above, how many grams of sulfamic acid must have reacted to produce the amount of nitrogen specified?
10/21/08 8:51 AM
groundfighter2000

ttt
11/7/08 10:48 PM
microbiologynerd
1092 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

pv=nrt. you're doing well sir
5/16/09 7:56 PM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

1st one: determine limiting reactant. From given amounts, determine amount of moles that react of the limiting reactant. Convert moles of limiting reactant to moles of product using stoicheometry.
5/16/09 7:59 PM
GB Dave Jr
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

2nd one: you find moles of product from ideal gas equation (make sure units cancel out, look at the value of R, there is more than one.) From moles of product formed, use stoicheometry to determine mole of reactant used. From moles of reactant, determine the mass of reactant used by using the molar mass.

sorry if it is too late.
5/17/09 1:12 PM
groundfighter2000

No problem, im done with chem forever, i passed, thanks though

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.