UnderGround Forums

LegalGround >> Technology Patent Law

10/20/08 10:44 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
roc311
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Does anyone here practice technology patent law? How difficult was law school and how was the bar exam? From my understanding its a different type of exam? Thanks everyone
10/21/08 9:49 AM
seg
77 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I think you have to pass your respective state bar exam, and then also pass a national patent bar exam.  've heard the patent bar exam is not that tough, at least in light of some of the idiots I know that passed it.
10/22/08 11:41 PM
Xtina

i had some classmates who took the patent bar during law school.  i believe you don't have to pass a state bar exam to practice before the USPTO, but if you don't, you can't practice elsewhere. 

10/27/08 10:21 AM
Cookie Monster
89 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ttt for Trust
11/7/08 2:11 PM
Trust
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You can sit for the patent bar exam if you have teh requisite background in science/engineering.  A bachelor's degree from an accredited school is ample qualifications. You don't have to go to law school at all for that, but you will be tested on patent law and patent practice. 

I've heard the test is easier to pass now.  When I took it the pass rate was around 25%.  And it's all multiple choice. I had to write a portion of a mock patent application on my exam.

If you pass that exam, you are a patent agent.  If you are also a licensed attorney in any state, you can be registered as a patent attorney. 

As a patent agent you are licensed to represent others in acquiring patent rights to an invention in proceeding before the USPTO.  You cannot litigate patents, you cannot advise people on whether they infringe a patent or if someone else infringes their patent, and so on, only matters before the USPTO. 

I have been licensed with the USPTO since 1995.  If you want to become a patent attorney, I'd highly recommend looking for in-house work or going to a boutique law firm that only does patent preparation and prosecution. The life of a patent attorney in a general law firm is pretty miserable, from what I've seen.
11/9/08 5:10 PM
roc311

Sorry for the late reply everyone but thanks for the great replies. Trust, you seem to be in the loop is there anyway I could get your email. I like to ask you a few questions. Thanks
11/23/08 9:13 PM
Trust
821 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sorry for the late reply.  trustbjj -at- yahoo.com

Let me know if you send me something because I virtually never check that email account. 
12/3/08 6:08 PM
roc311

Hey Bro sorry for the late reply, I will email this week at some point. Thanks again

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.