UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Peavey Classic 30 questions

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

10/21/08 7:53 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
T-Man
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

As detailed in another thread I returned my Peavey Vypyr 75 because it was very fucked up. i may get another one because it did sound good and was very versatile, but I'm looking at other options eg. the Classic 30.

If I use an overdrive with the classic 30 can I get metal tones? This isn't necessarily my main sound but I need to be able to do it.

If so does it sound good at low volume? I.e. bedroom practice tone

Thanks
T-MAN
10/21/08 7:37 PM
sreiter
30 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

more rock/blues tones
10/21/08 10:10 PM
alpo
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I pretty much only play metal and I wasn't impressed by it, in that regard.  Interesting you bring this up, I went to my manager's (at work) just last weekend and he had just bought one.  He plays mostly blues, so it seemed good for that.  He played some 80s metal with an overdrive.. Ratt and AC/DC, mostly, and it sounded good.  I tried to play some super high gain/detuned stuff like Carcass, Pantera and Down and it sucked.  I guess it depends on what kind of metal you're talking about.
10/23/08 12:06 AM
THATSCRAPTASTIC

for real tube metal in a smaller package check out the orange tiny terror or even the krank jr mini stack

modeling amps such as the vox valvetronix can deliver awesome metal tones at reasonable volumes and are less expensive.

i wasnt a fan of the peavey classic 30 tone.
10/23/08 1:05 PM
T-Man

looks like i might end up with a Peavey XXX 112

anybody here played one?
10/23/08 2:24 PM
THATSCRAPTASTIC

Edited: 10/23/08 2:35 PM
T-Man - looks like i might end up with a Peavey XXX 112anybody here played one?

where do you plan on using this amp? a 60 watt tube amp is ridiculously LOUD. you wont be able to get decent tones at bedroom or even band practice volumes unless you use a pedal which at that point you wont be hearing beautiful overdiven vacuum tubes - youll be hearing a transistor in a distortion pedal or u can use the master volume or an attenuator and then youll be sacrificing tone as well.
for tube amps you do not need more than 15 watts or 20 the most. if you need to crank a real tube amp that is over 30 watts to hear yourself in band practice then everyone is playing way too loud.

the only time you will need higher wattage is for clean headroom so you can crystal clean tone at higher volumes without the amp breaking up.

save your money and check out the amps i mentioned.
10/23/08 6:28 PM
T-Man

I'm sure 60 watts is insanely loud cranked, but I can pull half the power tubes to bring it to 30watts and from there its only going to be a very modest 3db louder than the tiny terror at max output.

Seems to me a metal oriented amp like the XXX would rely more on preamp distortion anyway?
10/23/08 7:07 PM
T-Man

i stand corrected... only 2 tubes in 112 so i can't pull 'em
10/25/08 3:15 PM
THATSCRAPTASTIC

T-Man - I'm sure 60 watts is insanely loud cranked, but I can pull half the power tubes to bring it to 30watts and from there its only going to be a very modest 3db louder than the tiny terror at max output.

Seems to me a metal oriented amp like the XXX would rely more on preamp distortion anyway?

honestly if you like the tone of the peavey and you thought about the loudness issue and its not a problem - you should get the peavey.
10/25/08 6:18 PM
Axl_Rose
14 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I use a Classic 50 for stage and studio work. It's very enjoyable to play.

Not the best for metal, but there are a variety of distortions you could use to adjust.

Sounds good when I roll out with my Rory Gallagher/Brian May/Ritchie Blackmore style.

| Share | Email | Subscribe | Check IPs

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.