UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Ankle Sprain?

10/22/08 8:18 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I sprained my ankle pretty good back in February.

Went to the doctor and he said he was sure it's broken, but x-rays said it wasn't.

Swollen up huge. Most of my foot was purple for a few months.

Had a cast sort of thing and crutches for a month or two.

Now here it is eight months later and it still hurts a little to even walk.

Feels like a tendon is too tight or something.

Is this normal? How long does it usually take to heal all the way?

I'm thinking of stretching it every day. Will this help?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
10/22/08 8:20 AM
Jacob Lamb
123 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Here is video of me spraining it.

Watch close on the slow motion part.

It bends pretty far. lol

10/23/08 1:16 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for providing the video, that really helps!

Damn lucky you didn't break it, and you might easily have torn some stuff. An MRI would have been appropriate, as x-rays aren't too good for checking on soft tissue injuries. It would still be worthwhile to see a PT for an evaluation.

From working with injured ankles (mind you I'm a trainer and a massage therapist, not a licensed health pro), my first thought was "Damn, he's gotta have a lot of issues with his peroneals and interossei."

Basically, I think you strained the hell out of the muscles on the lateral aspect of your tibia and also the muscles between the long bones in your foot. These muscles are probably chronically tight and irritated, and would adversely impact surrounding tissues as well. Because you have lived with this for eight months, you've probably also developed some compensatory tightness in other parts of your body, such as the hips, your left leg, and probably your shoulder girdle.

This sounds worse than it is. You appear young and healthy, and sound motivated to heal properly. That's a powerful combination, and you have a great chance of not living with this injury for the rest of your life if you take it seriously.

Start by getting your knee, ankle, and foot evaluated by a good PT or chiro familiar with athletic injuries to the lower extremities. Get instruction on some stretching and strengthening exercises to restore ROM and stability to your foot and ankle - and practice those exercises with the left as well. (Think of it as prehab to prevent injury.)

A good massage therapist trained in deep tissue specific work on the lower extremities can help the recovery process. Look for someone certified in NMT (neuromuscular therapy), orthopedic massage, AIS (active isolated stretching and strengthening), etc. There are other effective approaches out there, but those three shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've seen some dramatic improvements just with good massage, but it's better to have an injury like this properly evaluated for ligament/tendon tears rather than just hoping for the best.

Hope that helps!
Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
10/23/08 8:36 AM
Jacob Lamb

Wow. Thanks man.

This far exceeds the help I expected to get here.
10/23/08 8:52 AM
Jacob Lamb

This is where it hurts.

When I lift my toes or move my knee forward with my foot on the ground it feels REALLY tight. Like it's gonna tear.

It might not be the only problem, but it's the most noticeable.

10/23/08 9:05 AM
Jacob Lamb

Hey Jason, do you have an email address I can email you at? I have some questions about your CST stuff.
10/23/08 1:15 PM
martinburke
180 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Wow! You really turned that sucker. It looked like a serious lateral ankle sprain. But since you're feeling it on the inside(medial) side of the ankle, near the posterior tibiotalur ligament, I wouldn't rule out a syndesmosis ankle sprain.

A syndesmosis is a tough fibrous connection that holds the far ends of the tibia and fibula together. The syndesmosis is connected by a number of tissues including the posterior tibiotalur ligament. When the ankle is rolled so far that the tibia and fibula are forced apart, the syndesmosis tears.

These types of sprains generally take longer to heal than lateral or medial sprains. Lucky you, huh? But chin up; I had one and it heals. It just takes time and diligence on your part.

Definately follow JasonE's advice. Seek qualified professional help.
10/28/08 8:55 PM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Jacob Lamb - Hey Jason, do you have an email address I can email you at? I have some questions about your CST stuff.

Jason@CSTMinnesota.com

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.