UnderGround Forums

BookGround >> Infinite Jest frustration

10/22/08 10:09 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
jefft73
156 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I posted this on the OG but maybe I would get a better response here:

I feel like I have been reading this thing forever and I'm not even half through yet. To put it in perspective - when I started reading it, the author was still alive. I'm at about page 475. I'm too far in to stop now - I have to finish the book, but I'm hating it so far. Reading it makes me feel like an idiot. I do have to say though - I think this book had one of the most disturbing scenes that I have ever read. For those who have read it - I'm referring to the Raquel Welch mask scene.
10/23/08 7:42 PM
bjung
18 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

infinite jest...
it really took me awhile to get into it, then once i did it was fine and i enjoyed it. it did take a few hundred pages though and then not all streams/stories were as interesting as the others...i felt like an idiot for a bit of the first half too, no worries!
11/15/08 3:17 AM
HarryLime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it's a great book, keep at it . . .

Very sad the way DFW went out. I had a class with him in college . . . wonderful guy. RIP
12/9/08 8:47 PM
Ali
703 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

HarryLime --

You had a class with him? As in, he was the prof, or you were classmates?

He was a classmate of mine (in a writing class, no less) at Amherst. Smart dude. Was very into Pynchon at the time. I still haven't read IJ, but I love his short pieces.
12/10/08 10:22 PM
HarryLime
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

He was the prof, just a lit survey course -- it was a good class.

He seemed to enjoy teaching, but was very modest and ambivalent about his own books.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.