UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> Anyone had a cortisone shot? For what reason?

10/22/08 6:36 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
thesleeper
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am wondering what the most common ailment gets this treatment. Should be alot of people on here that have had one.
10/22/08 10:07 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had one for a ganglion cyst that grew on the nerves in my right wrist (I'm right handed). The dr 1st said they couldn't do a shot because it was underneath the tendons and they would have to do the oldschool carpal tunnel syndrome surgery where they slice you from the center of your palm to about 1-2 inches up your forearm, push the tendons off to the side, and then scrape off the cyst.

I went in for the pre-surgery appointment and he said, "you know what, I think I can get it from the back"

He put my forearm up on a slanted foam block with my hand hanging off the edge with my wrist bent. He stuck the needle in the back of my bent wrist about half way through. Then he bent my wrist up sot it was straight (with the needle in there) and pushed it through the rest of the way.

I felt some pressure but it really didn't hurt at all and I went to work right after the appointment (I hadn't been planning on getting the shot).

About 3 hours later, the pain set in and eventually felt like the worst sprain I had ever had... What they didn't tell me is that, along with the cortisone, they also injected a numbing agent and a pain killer.

About 6 weeks later I was back to about 95% when I had been completely unable to use my right hand for about 2 months before that. I'm completely back to normal now.

/End long-winded rant
10/24/08 1:11 PM
Rasslin Coach

I had a couple years ago in my shoulder. Said it was arthritic. I would do it again if the pain returned.
10/25/08 5:59 PM
thesleeper

Did you have to get a MRI?
10/25/08 7:36 PM
DaveM
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yes
10/28/08 11:39 PM
thesleeper

Anyone ever get one without an MRI?
10/29/08 9:28 AM
Rasslin Coach

I had an MRI first. Mine started out as a fracture to my shoulder. Not sure how it happened but the pain never went away after the fracture healed. Had the MRI, doc said I had arthritis and gave me a shot. I had one more shot after that and luckily never again.
10/29/08 9:16 PM
rainydayz

Edited: 10/29/08 9:16 PM
I had cortisone injections in my shoulder muscles..hurt like hell! My ailment was nodules in the muscle's. The injections helped temporarily for 4 months....Cortisone can do more harm than good! Stick with exercise...
10/31/08 2:31 PM
disbeliever
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

it does more harm if you get more than 3 a year i believe.
11/1/08 3:59 PM
DaveM

"it does more harm if you get more than 3 a year i believe. "

I'm pretty sure its 3 total (in the same joint), not 3 in a year.
11/1/08 5:31 PM
cuzz63

Cortisone in the elbow once for what the doc called "Tennis Elbow" (I dont play tennis). The initial injection hurt so bad but the pain in my elbow went away.

As for frequency of cotisone by wife gets injections about every 4 or 5 months in her spine and has been getting them for 3 years now.
11/2/08 8:41 PM
TacFighter

Had some in each shoulder in the past for chronic pain from shoulder separations. Recently underwent Mumford Procedure on my left shoulder to eliminate the pain. The shots at first worked for approx. 5 weeks and then the pain returned.
11/3/08 1:02 AM
JasonE

NOTE: I am a personal trainer and a massage therapist. I am not a physician or physical therapist. The following information reflects my current understanding of experience with cortisone injection therapies. Consult with your health professional for more in-depth information.
=======================================================

Cortisone shots are prescribed and administered for a vast array of painful conditions. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. Success rates vary dramatically, with the duration of pain relief falling somewhere between "never came back" and "never made a difference."

Cortisone shots must be administered under a physician's supervision. There is some risk that multiple injections can weaken connective tissues, increasing the possibility of other soft tissue injuries and other complications. I have seen MDs recommend limiting cortisone injections to no more than 3-5 in a lifetime, but individual cases (and MD preferences) may warrant exceeding this.

Cortisone injections do not "fix" the root cause of pain. Instead, they may decrease discomfort and facilitate the body's natural healing mechanisms in specific areas. As a general rule, cortisone shots alone are insufficient for long-term recovery. Instead, it is important to undergo appropriate therapies while local discomfort has been eased. If successful, the body will be able to heal the original cause of pain before the cortisone wears off. Since the average time frame normally reported to me is 3 weeks to 3 months of pain relief, I recommend getting professional guidance on a course of therapy both before and immediately after the injection.

As a massage therapist and personal trainer, I see lots of people that have had or are considering getting cortisone shots. Most people that have tried it and failed to get lasting relief indicate a preference for trying alternatives before getting another. When someone is in pain, there are often non-invasive alternatives that may provide lasting relief without the potential complications.

Post-injury and post-surgery cases that have long-term chronic pain often fail to achieve lasting relief with cortisone injections. This is more likely to be the case if the pain originates within the soft tissues (muscles, fascia, etc.) surrounding the site of the injury or surgery. In these cases, pain often results from dysfunctionally hypertonic or chronically stretched or strained tissues resulting in continuous irritation. Skillful manipulation of these tissues may help them return to a more normal state, usually with improved function and reduced pain. Many of my massage clients were able to indefinitely postpone a recommended cortisone shot because we got their soft tissues back to a state of ease that enabled faster healing.

Before getting a cortisone shot, always get a thorough evaluation and inquire about possible soft tissue involvement. Some medical pros may recommend bodywork as an adjunct therapy prior to, or in addition to, a cortisone shot.

You can find massage therapists trained in methods such as Neuromuscular Therapy (NMT), orthopedic massage, positional release techniques, Active Isolated Stretching (AIS), myofascial release and other methods. Some good sites to start your search: www.AMTAMassage.org, www.NCBTMB.com, and www.ABMP.com

Best wishes for your long-term recovery!
Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
11/13/08 11:27 PM
Kai Tremeche

Edited: 11/13/08 11:42 PM
I had three for a seperated collar bone in the past.

And 4 in my scalp to regrow hair after I lost a quarter sized plug that wasn't growing back after getting torn out.
11/14/08 3:35 PM
disbeliever
515 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

cortisone regrows hair?
11/16/08 8:46 PM
Kai Tremeche

Yes, Cortisone can regrow hair if you lose it due to trauma.
11/17/08 5:34 PM
groundfighter2000
467 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

inflammation?
11/17/08 10:15 PM
Kai Tremeche

Groundfighter: Say what?

Oh yeah, just to let everyone know, the cortisone in my scalp burned like I took a flamethrower to my dome.
2/11/09 4:11 PM
Truemanc3
10 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had a shot in December for an inflames si joint..... it did nothing for me... so I visited a top level Physio and have had 1 visit.... and basically cured me.
I had the so called si problem for over a year.
2/13/09 12:19 PM
disbeliever

Edited: 02/13/09 12:19 PM
I had one for a torn rotator cuff, hurt but not that bad.I broke my elbow in a motorcycle accident though a few years later. After it healed I was in constant pain. The nerve was inflammed and irritated, so he gave me a cort injection. The worst pain I have ever felt. he did it in 3 spurts, and I guess because of the nerve being so inflammed, after the second push I blacked out. Crazy pain

edit: but after that the elbow has been fine, going on 10 years now
2/13/09 12:20 PM
disbeliever

Kai Tremeche - Yes, Cortisone can regrow hair if you lose it due to trauma.

Damn only trauma eh? ;)
2/15/09 7:08 PM
zoies
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

LeeVanTeeth -  Sinusitis

OUCH!

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.