UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar: Where Should I Be Right Now?

10/22/08 9:49 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El Maquina
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Just trying to get an idea about how I'm progressing with the guitar. I've been learning for close to 3 weeks now. What are the things that I should have mastered by now?
10/22/08 10:09 PM
DaveM
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

3 weeks?

Holding the guitar, holding the pick and maybe the 1st position G and D chords
10/22/08 10:25 PM
El Maquina

Wow, guess I'm doing alright then. I know C, A, G, E, D, F, and the minor chords. What am I having the most trouble with right now is strumming patterns. I can't seem to get them right at all. I've dabbled in a few songs and messed around with the minor pentatonic scale a bit. It's fun and frustrating at the same time.
10/23/08 10:41 AM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you learning from? Internet? A book? Instructor?
10/23/08 11:48 AM
El Maquina

internet, justinguitar.com
10/24/08 5:59 PM
sreiter

how long does it take you to switch from chord to chord?

it's one to know where to put your fingers, and another to do it likes it's second nature
10/24/08 11:04 PM
El Maquina

Oh, it's far from second nature right now. I'm getting faster, but my fingers still want to touch the strings one at a time instead of all at once. That's gonna be a hard habit to break. Believe it or not, I'm actually having more trouble with up strums than chord changes it seems. Also, whenever I make a bar chord like F or B minor I always end up muting at least one string. What songs did you guys start off learning when you first began?
10/25/08 12:41 AM
sreiter

3 chord i, iv, v (c,f,g) stuff or D C G

the one finger at a time thing is natural - i've been playing 30 years, and when i learn a new chord voicing (starting to learn the CAGED system barre chords) I still place a finger at a time (well really i just add the pinky slower then the rest)

it's just familiarity with the chord - you'll get over that as time goes on all by itself

om the barre chords - you're just not applying enough pressure / squeezing the neck tight enough

a better trick is playing a "A" shaped barre chord (5th string root) and NOT barring the high E with your ring finger
10/26/08 6:22 PM
wiley

Edited: 10/26/08 6:57 PM
Learned my first G chord last January, and I was frustrated I couldn't switch chords quickly either. Then all of a sudden it started to come. It's good to practice chord changes involving chords in a certain Key or Chord Family.These are typically chords that sound good together and are used to make songs.I still have problems with the F-chord due to my fingers being mangled a bit from grappling. Barre chords I won't ever be able to do, due to finger injuries, so it's simple open chords for me which is cool.For strumming practice, Strum Down-Down-Up-Up-Down-Up (DDU-UDU) it's called the folk strum pattern and it can be used in most songs, it won't sound 100% correct but it works. Then from there you change it slightly for other songs. By changing and messing with the timing of your strumming you can almost replicate most songs. Make the time between certain down/up strokes longer, shorter etc...Use sites like www.chordie.com, or www.ultimate-guitar.com for tab or chords.I pick a song, watch lots of youtube covers of it, gets the chords for it and then practice it. youtube
10/27/08 9:38 AM
El Maquina

Thanks fellas

Wiley, my fingers are fine and I have trouble with the F chord. Checked out your youtube vids, sounds like you are coming along nicely. Keep it up!
11/2/08 10:30 AM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I had trouble with the F also, when I started out.  Learning chords is just repetition, man.  There's no real magic to it.  Sometimes you have to contort your hand in weird and uncomfortable ways, so it's just a matter of getting used to it.  Are you playing acoustic?
11/2/08 5:31 PM
wiley

I'm playing Acoustic and the damnF-chord kills me everytime. I can't quite get it even after repetition. I can get it sometimes and then other times I cant. Barre chords wont work for me either. My hands are pretty tight and wont stretch much even with exercises to work on stretching. Grappling seems to keep my hands tight and not very flexible.
11/3/08 12:07 AM
El Maquina

Yeah I'm playing on acoustic. The most fun I've had so far on it is learning basic fingerpicking exercises. When I first started, I was solely interested in rock guitar. Now I think that fingerstyle is what I want to master first. Oh and the F chord has nothing on the B minor chord. Good night!
11/3/08 11:09 AM
FightMeI'mIrish
6 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For barre chords like F and Bm, try "rolling" your index finger back toward the nut. To see what I mean, Point at your own face with your fingernail up. The contact patch for your barre should be around 7 or 8 o'clock, not the very bottom of your finger(6 o'Clock). Does that make sense?

To speed up my chord changes I used to practice while watching TV. No strumming, just C,G,C,G,C,G,C,G, Am,Em,Am,Em,Am,Em. Build that Muscle-memory.

A good song to drill open chord speed is "Run Around" by Blues Traveler. C,Am,D,G over and over for the duration of the song.
11/3/08 11:44 AM
El Maquina

I'll try it irish, thanks! What strum pattern do you use for the Blues Traveler song?
11/3/08 10:46 PM
wiley

Please do share the strum pattern.
11/3/08 11:08 PM
alpo
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I do the fingertip rolling thing for F and Bm also.  I have big hands and fingers, so I do anything to minimize my fret profile.  I mostly play metal, though, so I don't give a shit about that stuff right now.  I also just started playing less than a year ago, so anything I say is to be taken with 87,000 grains of salt.
11/4/08 10:14 AM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The f shape is a half of a barre chord. The best trick I ever learned on barre chords is to pull your elbows inward, until my hands got strong enough to just barre the whole thing across
11/5/08 12:42 AM
sreiter

huh?

e chord is half a 6th string barre chord

a cowboy chord f is nothing like a barre chord
11/6/08 12:13 PM
El_Clap

This chord?

http://www.8notes.com/guitar_chord_chart/F.asp

The first one?

Is the bottom half of a full barre. It only barres the 1st and 2nd string.
11/8/08 10:48 PM
sreiter

Edited: 11/08/08 11:08 PM
nope not a barre chord

that's a normal "cowboy chord" F

F triad = F A C

you MUST fret the high string E on the first fret for the "F" note

the reason why you also fret the the D string @ the 3rd fret (F note) is because the root note is your bass note (inversions excluded)

if you left it open, the added "E" note turns the chord into a F7 maj

the second is a modification of a 6th string root barre chord
11/10/08 11:37 AM
El_Clap

The 1st and 2nd strings of the 'cowboy' chord are the high e and b, fretted at the f and the c respectively.

The 3rd string is fretted at the 2 for the a and the 4th at the 3 for the f.

It is a moveable shape, same as the barre.

For the full barre, just go ahead and fret the 5th string at the 3 for the C and the 6th string at the 1 for the low F.

It's pretty much the same shape. Regardless, the technique I used to learn to barre 2 strings at the same time is the same one I used for full barre chords.

Cheers
11/10/08 2:15 PM
sreiter

dude -

trust me YOU'RE WRONG

it's a movable TRIAD and NOT A BARRE CHORD

right now the notes in your example

6 string = E (open)
5 string = A (open)
4 string = F (3rd fret)
3 string = A (2nd fret)
2 string = C (1st fret)
1 string = F (1st fret)

for a F chord, you'd have to not play the 5 and 6 strings, OR if you fret the E string on the 1st fret with your thumb. that'll be a 1st inversion F chord

if you used that same fingering and move the pattern up 2 frets and BARRE you have

6 string = G (3rd fret)
5 string = C (3rd fret)
4 string = G (5th fret)
3 string = B (4th fret)
2 string = D (3rd fret)
1 string = G (3rd fret)

by your logic, moving up a whole step from F (2 frets) the [barre] chord SHOULD BE a "G"

a "G" chord is G, B, D

the "C" is a perfect 4th to G so if you wanted to add a 'C' to a G, you need to do it as a 4th above the octive.

that gives you a G maj 11th

the way you're fretting it is NOT ANY CHORD THAT EXISTS
11/10/08 4:48 PM
El_Clap

Here's what I"m trying to say.
Cowboy F
1)1
2)1
3)2
4)3
5)X
6)X

Full Barre F
1)1
2)1
3)2
4)3
5)3
6)1

Same notes save for the 5th and 6th which you don't play in a cowboy chord. The shape is still moveable.

Not sure how we're misunderstanding each other.
11/12/08 12:40 AM
sreiter

Edited: 11/12/08 12:47 AM
El_Clap - Here's what I"m trying to say.
Cowboy F
1)1
2)1
3)2
4)3
5)X
6)X

Full Barre F
1)1
2)1
3)2
4)3
5)3
6)1

Same notes save for the 5th and 6th which you don't play in a cowboy chord. The shape is still moveable.

Not sure how we're misunderstanding each other.

no - you dont understand the concept of what is or isnt a barre chord

it's happenstance that the cowboy chord "F" is the bottom of a "F" barre chord

the chord is movable because it is a "E" shape cowboy chord not a "F" shape cowboy chord (henceforth named "CC" )

think of it this way - if you had a capo on the first fret, it effectively is like moving the nut up a fret and raising the strings up one tone. so if you played a "E" in "CC" position, you'd be playing a "F" chord in tone - the same thing happens when you use your index finger to barre all the string at the first fret -

and so on barre or capo on the 3rd, play a "E" CC and you're playing a "G" chord

chords are movable when you play a CC chord shape and barre at the appropriate place

the CC "F" as it's fingered in the CC position IS MOVABLE - but that has NOTHING TO DO with it being the bottom half of a BARRE CHORD. and if you kept the D and G string fingered as is, and you just added your index finger barre'ing all the strings 1 fret down (where you where barre'ing the B and E strings), you would would not be playing a chord

there's probably more - but the CAGED system is built on the CC shapes of C, A, G, E, D

there are open positions such as making a CC "D" sliding it up to the 7th fret for "G" amd there are closed chords, where you'd barre a fret (or two depending ) below the "CC" CAGED shapes

you probally know the 6th string root barre chords in the "E" shape

and the 5th string root barre chords in the "A" shape

any variation of E or A works as well minors, 7th, flat 7ths, 6ths, etc, ect, etc

if you make a CC shape A min and move it up to the 4th fret and Barre the 3rd, you're playing C min - etc

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.