UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Guitar: Where Should I Be Right Now?

11/12/08 12:03 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

When you move the F 'CC' down to the 5th fret, it's not happenstance that it makes an A chord in the exact same fret where you'd make an E shaped barre chord A.

Thus, the F CC is the bottom half of the E shaped barre. The position on the fretboard makes it an F chord. If you moved it to the 5th fret it'd be an A. You could play the top 3 strings as well of the same e barre shape and you'd what are commonly known as power chords.

The other open chords are just pieces of other shaped barre chords, as is laid out in the CAGED system.
11/12/08 4:40 PM
sreiter
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/12/08 4:44 PM
i gonna stop here - you're wrong, and if you choose to sound like an idiot to any knowledgeable guitar player thats your choice -

just dont be surprised by the stare and laughs behind your back

the fucking caged system uses fucking chords as is, they dont fucking say oh, this this the bottom half of some fucking chord, and you need to add notes to the base chord (NOT THE BARRE) in order to play the chord correctly)

do youself a favor - dont believe me -

go take one fucking lesson form a good teacher who has a degree in theory and explain that bullshit to him and see what his reaction is

I've been playing 30 years, how about you?
11/12/08 4:44 PM
sreiter

"When you move the F 'CC' down to the 5th fret, it's not happenstance that it makes an A chord in the exact same fret where you'd make an E shaped barre chord A. "

dude, you're fucking thick

no, it's not a co-incidence that "F" cowboy is a "A" at the 5th

thats what happens when you move chords down the neck

2 whole steps up from F is A

that has FUCKING ZERO TO DO WITH THE FACT IT'S NOT A FUCK BARRE FUCKING CHORD
11/13/08 10:39 AM
El_Clap
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I've been playing for about 9 years or so. I take lessons between garage bands. I'm taking them now.

I never said that particular chord was a barre chord. I said it was the bottom half of the e shaped barre chord. Then I posted a tab. I really don't see what's so difficult about all of this, but whatever.

See you around.
11/13/08 11:58 AM
sreiter

Edited: 11/13/08 1:28 PM
El_Clap - The f shape is a half of a barre chord. The best trick I ever learned on barre chords is to pull your elbows inward, until my hands got strong enough to just barre the whole thing across

sorry -

seemed like you were talking about barre chords

didnt realize you're talking about 2 seperate things in you posts

IMO - referring to a CC as the bottom half of a barre chord is misleading and confusing (not to mention I've never heard anyone else talk about it that way, and since music is a common language, such as "lets end with a 3 tag", or "it's a 1,4,5, 12 bar shuffle in E", i think its wise to use common terminology, YMMV) because you have to add another note (not just the barre) - but to each his own

good luck in all your future endeavors

S-
11/15/08 5:56 AM
Ze Dano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

where should you be?

SITTING ON THE EDGE OF YOUR FUCKING BED PRACTICING!!!!!!
11/16/08 2:54 AM
El Maquina

Yeah, I'm practicing. I just feel like I'm not getting very far. I'm running out of patience in my old age.
11/16/08 10:42 AM
The Noose

El Maquina - Yeah, I'm practicing. I just feel like I'm not getting very far. I'm running out of patience in my old age.

All I can tell you is, if you want to be any good at guitar "patience" is one of the most important traits to have. It takes YEARS of practice to be even decent on guitar. Thats kind of what makes it so fucking cool. Along the way, you will go through times where you just dont think you are getting any better and it will get boring, and frustrating. Thats where you seperate yourself. Just keep practicing, learning songs, take some lessons, and dont quit. You'll get there.
11/16/08 11:34 PM
Ze Dano
29 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

El Maquina Im just hacking on ya..but seriously, the more time you put in sitting on the edge of the bed just playing, the more you will "hear" and "feel'....for me it took forever, and one day it all made sense..my playing went from a 2 to a 10...good luck amigo
11/17/08 12:00 AM
El Maquina

Thanks fellas
11/17/08 12:12 AM
alpo

To put things in perspective, I've been playing for almost exactly a year.  I generally practice 10-20 hours per week.  I haven't had any routine professional instruction, but I've had about 10 privates with 3 different guitar player friends of mine, all of them 15-25 years of experience.  They all seem to think I am progressing extremely well, so take that for what it's worth.. I suppose they could be blowing smoke up my ass, but I think I am doing pretty well, for the most part.

I have been playing metal, almost exclusively.  I am just now getting to the point where I can, for example, learn the rythym guitar for basically any Metallica song in a matter of a few hours.  Granted, I can't play it perfectly, but I can memorize the song and I know how to play it and I can nail down the main riffs pretty well.  My timing might not be perfect and I might hesitate or miss some strings or gallops or pinch harmonics, but it's good enough that it's fun to play and not a total chore and I can practice it on my own without looking at the tabs.

However, and it's a big "however," I still can't play any of them perfectly all the time.  I always make mistakes.  Little by little, the mistakes diminish, but I still can't play most songs all the way through without fumbling through something. 

It took me about 6 months of hard practice to get to the point where it doesn't take a lifetime to learn new songs and I am comfortable enough with my hands to perform most of the maneuvers necessary to play the song so it recognizable and not hard on the ears.  Even though I can't always hit everything perfectly, I do hit it perfectly sometimes, so that is encouraging.  The more I practice, the easier it gets.

It's just about that muscle memory.  You've got to get to the point where you don't think about the movements of your fingers anymore.  Your mind is concentrating on what you have to do next, rather than what you are currently doing, so you're almost in autopilot mode.  In many ways, it's like learning how to type or play a video game.

Anyway, from one beginner to another, just hang in there and stick with it.  It will soon be very rewarding.  There will be times when you will be very frustrated, but just know that the main barrier is repetition.  Start slow and work up your speed.  Believe me, there were many times when I never though that I would ever be able to play a certain riff.  Lo and behold, a couple weeks later and I can do it.

Also, if you don't already have a metronome get one.  Korg sells a decent cheap one.  I also use 911tabs.com and Guitar Pro like it is going out of style.
11/17/08 12:32 AM
El Maquina

Alpo, did you start out on an electric guitar and go right into learning metal? I'm starting with an acoustic and have been messing around with fingerpicking a bit. Playing rock guitar is my ultimate goal though.
11/17/08 12:15 PM
alpo

Yes, I started out on electric.  At first, I learned a bunch of basic chords, practiced transitions, learned to read tabs and so on.  I learned a few basic strumming songs and once I had those down, I started playing more stuff I wanted to play.  The first real song I ever learned a part of was the first couple minutes of Enter Sandman by Metallica.  I focused a lot on Black Sabbath, in the beginning, as most of it is pretty easy to play.  The slow/medium tempo songs that are almost entirely power chords are going to be the easiest and early Sabbath has a bunch of those.  The first song I could play all the way through (badly) was Mouth for War by Pantera.  So, yeah, I pretty much started learning metal right away after I got down some of the basics. 

Much later, I bought an acoustic, but I honestly don't play with it very much.  I think learning on acoustic would be more beneficial, in terms of learning proper technique, and it will pay off later on when you move to electric.  Acoustic is harder to play, in many ways.  However, acoustic just doesn't interest me at all.  If I had bought an acoustic first, I wouldn't have stuck with the guitar at all.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.