UnderGround Forums

PetGround >> dog food

10/23/08 12:08 AM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
MikeD
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

What are you guys feeding now?

I went from Pedigree, to Castor & Pollux Pet Works Puppy Formula, to Wellness Puppy. In a few weeks it will be time to try something new. I bought some type of Solid Gold kibble, but I might take it back and get something else.

The ingredients on the C&P seemed good, but homeboy was crapping 3-5 times/day (9 in one 24 hours period). Although I now think that might have been from him eating peaches from my tree. It was either him or the rabbits.

He responded well to the Wellness Puppy kibble. He slowed down a bit during feeding and the pooping went down to 1-3 times/day.

Anyone have a certain kibble they recommend?
10/23/08 8:44 AM
smileythai

Innova & Canidae.
10/23/08 9:38 AM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

canidae had a slight formula change for the worse a few months ago. I have fed a few different foods in the past (I'll only mention the premium brands)

Innova: good food, decent price. My dog had skin allergies on it.

Hills Prescription Diet Z/D: the most hypoallergenic food on the market, not the most nutritious though. good diagnostic tool

Canidae Chicken and Rice: I tried it for the single protein source since its better for allergies. saw goopd results for a while then fell off. I'd try it again. for the price its about the best quality food around.

California Natural: Also very good for allergies, I saw some improvement from the canidae but there's just not enough of meat protein in here for me.

I'm going to pick up a bag of Nature's Variety this weekend and give it a try.

I strongly reccomend www.DogFoodAnalysis.com Its an awesome website with reviews of hundreds of commercial foods.

10/23/08 4:52 PM
MikeD

Yeah, I like that site!
10/23/08 10:00 PM
smileythai

So has Innova. There are even quality control issues that have caused a few buddies of mine to have serious bouts of diarrhea with their dogs. Sucks, but they(I & C) are still the best options by far for those not willing to feed raw.

10/24/08 9:19 AM
MikeZev
34 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

yeah my dog never got a real nice solid crap on innova. like grainy soft serve ice cream.
10/24/08 1:26 PM
Total JJ

Edited: 10/24/08 1:36 PM
 I feed Natures Variety.  I use a combination of the kibble (Instinct not Prarie) and the pre-packaged raw.  The food is a bit pricey and can be hard to find, but IMO it is the best alternative to a full raw diet that is out there.

In the past I have fed Canidae and Innova and was happy with both of those kibbles.
10/25/08 7:18 AM
MikeD

I don't know of any store around here that sells decent dog food other than PetCo and PetSmart. Where do you guys find Canidae and Innova? I've looked for it there before, but couldn't find it. Actually, I can't find any 6 star rated kibble there. Do you guys order it online or just near better stores than me. Pretty sure I've seen everything else listed there before.

On an unrelated note, my dog has explosive shits and is throwing up from eating drywall I assume.

I had a new door unit installed the other day. There was little bit of sawdust, insulation, and sheetrock on the deck, and instead of sweeping it off, I just hosed it off not thinking anything of it. Now I'm finding these small white chuck coming from both ends. I'll give it another day or so and see if he gets any better before I go to the vet. I figure he'll eventually pass it all. I gave him some Pepto Bismol so hopefully that will help some.
10/25/08 8:14 AM
smileythai

This will give you a list of vendors nearest to you: http://www.naturapet.com/where-to-buy/
10/25/08 10:25 AM
MikeD

Whoa, cool link! The two stores that came up I'd never even heard of. I may swing by there today.

Thanks!
10/26/08 4:21 AM
HuntingtonPUNK

Canidae is now owned by Diamond

I'm now feeding Innova
10/27/08 10:30 AM
MikeZev

i had to get a bag of canidae this weekend- out of natures variety.

Diamond has had some major problems in the past but not in a couple years if i recall correctly. mainly related to thgier processing facilities.
10/30/08 8:16 PM
MikeD

I think I'm going to take back the Solid Gold I bought at PetCo and get some Taste of the Wild kibble I found at a local place using smiley's link. It's a 6 star rated kibble from DFA.
10/31/08 10:39 AM
MikeZev

cool. let us know how your pup does on it. I've never tried it or talked to anyone that has.
10/31/08 5:01 PM
MikeD

I've still got about three weeks left of Wellness, but once we transition to the TOTW for a few weeks I will definitely update.
11/8/08 10:39 PM
MikeD

Not sure if it's a large chain, local place or what, but I came across this Co-Op type place today that had a great selection of good quality kibble at reasonable prices. I ended up buying a 13 lbs. bag of Innova EVO small bites kibble for $23.

It's higher rated than the Wellness kibble I was buying and it was it also about 33% cheaper.

I change feed about every three months so next time I'll probably try the TOTW I mentioned earlier.

I'll probably start mixing in the Innova about Wednesday or Thursday.
11/8/08 10:58 PM
smileythai

Any stool problems changing kibble so frequently?

If it were me I'd stick to the Innova and supplement with raw food sources a couple of times per weak. Chicken, turkey, wild game(venison, rabbit, etc), fish and fish meal/oil.

11/8/08 11:41 PM
MikeD

smileythai - Any stool problems changing kibble so frequently?

No, none at all.
11/8/08 11:48 PM
smileythai

MikeD - No, none at all.
Dog with an iron gut, imo.  

When I initially made the switch from Pro Plan to Innova my APBT bitch had a few loose days. But then her belly shrunk(ie: no more bloating) and stools were formed and regular from there on out.

11/9/08 12:04 AM
MikeD

I came across what appeared to be a pretty legit dog nutrition website maybe four months ago. It recommended switching out foods every three months or so just so the dogs don't get bored of the same stuff. It made sense to me so I followed it.
11/9/08 12:49 AM
smileythai

Raw food, yes. But kibble? I have my doubts. More likely to run into a problem with ingredient or quality control changes even with the best companies.

But still, if your dog is unaffected then more power to you.
11/9/08 12:28 PM
NorthFromHere
304 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I feed my dogs with a super premium dog food (mostly use a local brand, but also pro pac and pro plan), which I change every 6 months or so.
With the dry food I give them some uncooked meat, liver, stomach, fat etc. Half of the time I replace meat with a mix that has carrots, garlic, rice, beas, herbs and fresh meat. I order this stuff frozen straight from the company that makes it like 50 pounds at a time. Excellent nutritional values, easy to use and our dogs absolutely love it.
11/9/08 2:35 PM
MikeD

That sounds like good stuff.
11/10/08 11:09 AM
MikeZev

i'm getting the rund and bad gas on the new canidae formula. looks like a switch AGAIN.
11/10/08 10:14 PM
smileythai

^How long since you switched? Couple of days = give it time. Longer then a week = Innova! lol

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.