UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> dislocated knee?

10/25/08 5:11 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
dcvillain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

ok so I dislocated (patella coming off track) my knee last week. My knee is pretty sore and still a little swollen but functional. Any one ever have this happen to them? I have seen a doctor and nothing is torn, they said it is just going to take some time for the soreness, stiffness and swelling to go down.
10/28/08 9:41 PM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ice packs, BioFreeze, kinesiotaping, and acupuncture have all proven very helpful for reducing swelling.

Ice packs and BioFreeze (a topical analgesic) are great for self-care. 15 minutes on and 20 minutes off for an hour or so is good. You can do this morning and evening.

Kinesiotaping needs to be done by someone trained in the method. The tape is placed in a way that facilitates natural reduction of swelling, and is usually left on for days.

Acupuncture has been proven to help speed the healing process. I've had acupuncture for a serious knee injury, and it dramatically reduced swelling and pain.

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Jason Erickson
www.CSTMinnesota.com
10/28/08 10:21 PM
dcvillain
8 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks Jason, our team has a PT on staff and he is helping me out a great deal.
12/1/08 1:53 AM
The Rookie

Ahh the dislocating patella. I've done that a few times, fun eh? The first time it happened I felt this wicked pain, then grabbed my knee to find my patella on the back of my leg. I didn't even know that could happen, so imagine my surprise.

Defintely get a handle on the swelling first; ice, anti-inflammatory drugs, and acupuncture all worked well for me.

Basic physio exercises will get some strength and ROM back. Then hit the bike and add some weight training/step-ups.

Since I learned how to squat PROPERLY, I have been incident free for over four years. Take it easy and don't jump back into things too fast.
1/2/09 3:09 PM
crobrun
19 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Take care of it. I've had it happen 4 times now. Last time I didn't even have a good reason for it. I didn't get it treated (Emg room pop it back in, but didn't have it looked at after). Mistake, and now I've stopped martial arts in general because of this. Don't be stupid like me, make sure you follow up with an expert and get some PT.
1/30/09 3:13 PM
mikecornille

There is good news! I have had this happen before and saw probably 5 or 6 doctors about what I could do about it. They all told me to do physical therepy. I dont know if they were taking the easy way out or what but PT wasnt the solution at all. There is something structually wrong with my knees, and probably everyone else thats had this happen to them.

The solution to this problem is called a distal realignment. They will line up your patella so it tracks correctly. The procedure has had excellent results. I read that patients who have had the surgery have never had another dislocation again! Ask your ortho about this procedure. If they cant perform it, you may have to make a visit up to Chicago. My email is mikec@itransys.com if you want any more info. I plan on having both knees done, one in March and the other in July, Ill give updates.
2/21/09 11:34 PM
mentalmidget

Edited: 02/28/09 11:32 AM
I had this happen about 10 yrs ago while playing squash. It messed up my knee and parametics had to take me off the court on a stretcher. I screamed like a girl when he moved my leg. They made me wear a knee immobilizer for a while and had PT. No bjj for about 6 mths.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.