UnderGround Forums

SoldierGround >> Any Army Rangers or former Rangers

10/28/08 5:59 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
Hilnder12
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 10/28/08 5:59 PM

I have been in talks with a recruiter. I am a former DIII collegiate wrestler, who is pretty out of shape but does have the discipline to get back into shape especially given the proper push that I am looking forward to be given to me at BCT. I was wondering how difficult you found RIP? In your opinion will the 20ish weeks i would have from the beginning of BCT until the end of Airborne training be long enough to get in the shape I need to be in? From what I was told even if I didn't complete RIP, the worst that would happen is a would be placed in an airborne infantry unit.
10/30/08 3:59 PM
StillToStupid

RIP is tough. If your body can make it through BCT (to include your OSUT AIT), and airborne, you WILL be in shape again.
10/30/08 3:59 PM
StillToStupid

RIP is tough. If your body can make it through BCT (to include your OSUT AIT), and airborne, you WILL be in shape again.
10/31/08 4:20 PM
TheRenegadeSperm
543 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

There is no guarantee you will go to an airborne infantry if you fail out.

You will, however go Needs of the Army, which is wherever they want to send you.
11/1/08 8:30 AM
kinsey3745
17 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

It all depends on your MOS. You wont go needs of the Army. USASOC gets first dibs on all guys that fail RIP. If there are no positions for you in USASOC then you will most likely go to an Airborne unit.

RIP is much more difficult than Airborne. Your PT test is graded to a much higher standard. You must complete 70% in each event for the APFT with 6 chin-ups, complete a 5 mile run in less than 40 minutes and a 12 mile road march in less than 3 hours. There are many other physical events but if you train for above listed ones you should be good to go.
11/20/08 7:27 PM
StillToStupid

^ best advice EVAR
11/20/08 7:27 PM
StillToStupid

^ best advice EVAR
11/25/08 10:27 AM
Hilnder12

Edited: 11/25/08 10:28 AM
Thanks for the advice, I unfortunately couldn't put airborne or rip into my contract because my vision disqualified me from both. I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other according to their test although i know i have done better in my eye doctor's office. I leave January 15th for OST at Fort Knox, KY to become a 19D Cav Scout. I did have to defer my GI bill because I need the tuition repayment program. I also get to enter as an E-4, which is nice. I am extremely excited for the opportunity to serve my country and know it will be an experience i will never forget.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.