UnderGround Forums

SBGI >> Is it possible to be a nice guy and fight?

10/29/08 1:40 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
acid jazz
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

I am weird in that I am atracted to martial arts but I don't like hurting people or dominating people. I want to have the ability to beat someone up but I don't want to actually beat someone up.

I was training self defense with some guys once and the instructor told me that I did not know how to project "bad guy" energy.

Is it possible to be a good fighter without a mean streak or having ill intentions?
10/29/08 2:37 PM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Is it possible to be a good fighter without a mean streak or having ill intentions?

Of course it is!

That Instructor was probably just a bit insecure. Some of the best fighters I have known, have also been some of the nicest guys. The scowling, make a scary face, killer instinct stuff is really just a lot of silly nonsense. Train hard, train like an athlete, and become skilled in the delivery systems and you will do just fine.

In fact, I would say that you are describing yourself as fairly well adjusted. That's not something to be worried about, that is something to be happy about. The killer instinct stuff is really just a marketing ploy that tends to exploit insecure males that often had absentee fathers. It holds no real relationship to anything that could be called "tough".

An old SBG slogan, tough isn't how you act, tough is how you train.

www.straightblastgym.com
10/29/08 2:41 PM
acid jazz
91 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Matt,

Thanks for responding. Maybe there is something more to my being nice than just my inability to scowl. The instructor said I was not being fair to my training partners because I was holding back.

I never heard this in BJJ classes, but I did hear this at the self defense class. In all honesty, I do tend to hold back for fear of hurting someone.

I have to be provoked to let go. Someone would have to hurt a family member or something or hurt me intentionally for me to let it all go.
10/29/08 2:41 PM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The LHW UFC champ is a big goofy kid. Always has been. I watched a dude slap him in a bar for no reason and he just asked the guy Why?.

Adam
10/29/08 2:44 PM
acid jazz

Adam Singer - The LHW UFC champ is a big goofy kid. Always has been. I watched a dude slap him in a bar for no reason and he just asked the guy Why?.

Adam

That is my definition of power. He knows he can kick the guys ass and doesn't need to prove anything.
10/29/08 11:54 PM
Adam Singer
13 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Knowing Forrest I disagree. He does not think that way. He just knew as a good human being that escalation was not the answer.
Adam
10/30/08 2:18 AM
Matt Thornton
2 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The instructor said I was not being fair to my training partners because I was holding back.

That is easy to fix with a few hours of drilling. It's really more a matter of pace, and learning when to shift gears. That's not to be confused with any desire (or assumed ability) to hurt someone.
10/30/08 8:05 AM
acid jazz

Matt Thornton -  The instructor said I was not being fair to my training partners because I was holding back.

That is easy to fix with a few hours of drilling. It's really more a matter of pace, and learning when to shift gears. That's not to be confused with any desire (or assumed ability) to hurt someone.

Matt,

Thanks for clarifying this. I was hoping I didn't need a personality transplant just to be effective.
10/30/08 6:30 PM
The Gimp
5 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

acid,

I am too "nice" in training, to the point where it is hurting my game. There's some good advice about this topic over on the BJJ Forum in the thread "Changing mentality from def to offensive."
10/30/08 7:06 PM
acid jazz

The Gimp - acid,

I am too "nice" in training, to the point where it is hurting my game. There's some good advice about this topic over on the BJJ Forum in the thread "Changing mentality from def to offensive."

Thanks for posting this. I like the 10 seconds of meanness concept. I think I could do something like that with grappling, with striking it is harder to be mean.
10/30/08 8:56 PM
Christian Montes
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Ronin Athletics, Owner/Head Coach
good thread.
11/6/08 4:45 PM
Luis Gutierrez
1 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Edited: 11/07/08 10:35 AM

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.