UnderGround Forums

Health & Medical UnderGround >> skinfold to measure testosterone etc?

10/29/08 8:17 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
joe canada
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

OK, after two years of busting ass at work combined with a new baby (who is now two), I have decided to get back in shape. Former athlete, etc blah blah blah.

So I went and got an assessment which included a skinfold test.

Fair enough, my body fat was x% (somewhat lower than I feared). No problem there. But he then told me about my cortisol levels and my testosterone levels. Apparently, he plugged my skinfold measurements into his program and it spat out testosterone levels.

This has me wondering:

I am aware that cortisol will tend to make men carry weight in the tummy. So I would assume if I have higher fat in that area he can reasonably come to that conclusion.

But has anyone ever heard of a skinfold test coming back with results for testosterone levels? This is a new one for me, and I can;t find anything on it on Google.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks!

joe
10/30/08 12:53 AM
JasonE
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Sounds like a software program based on a set up "normal parameters" spit out an estimate based on the data he entered. While it may give some indication of testosterone levels, I wouldn't place much faith in it. Skinfold tests have difficulty accurately (or consistently) measuring body fat %. Much depends on the person doing the meaurements, and slight variances in technique can make a significant difference.

When body fat measurements are then used to estimate hormone levels, accuracy becomes a matter of luck. There are too many contributing factors that could completely invalidate the estimate provided by the trainer's software. If you want the real numbers, go get a blood test.
10/30/08 9:40 AM
androushka
3 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Did you ask him how he came up with the numbers?
11/8/08 2:51 PM
joe canada
39 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Thanks for the answers. Sorry to take so long to check back in.

I did what I always do when I get advice or feedback from a medical professional -- I went home and googled it. (Yes, I am aware that many strength and conditioning pros are hardly medical professionals. Nevertheless, to each task its tool, and I firmly believe that a competent, qualified strength and conditioning coach is an underused and valuable asset). And there is only one way he can come up with the numbers -- skin fold. During the assessment, he performed the following:

An initial interview (diet, workout habits, sleep, history, etc)
A series of exercises (jump down off an elevated surface onto one leg, free squats on an unbalanced surface, etc)
Some assisted stretches
Weight and skinfold tests.

The skinfold is the only way on that list he could come up with a testosterone level.

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't put too much stock in the testosterone results in any event, but I'm now starting to psyche myself out (lol). I'll get it tested next time I see my GP. :)

Thanks all!

Joe

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.