UnderGround Forums

SoundGround >> Best mix of covers and originals?

10/30/08 3:08 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
bartos
7 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

For a new band trying to make a name for themselves, what would be the proper mix of covers and originals in a solid 45 minute set?

Should geographical location be taken into consideration? We are not exactly in seattle or LA.

If it matters, we play progressive rock ala foo fighters and QOTSA.
10/30/08 4:51 PM
The Noose
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Well, in my opinion, it depends on a lot of things. Are you trying to make a name for yourselves as an original band? If so, I would say maybe two or three covers only. And more importantly, covers that you do well and that you kinda make your own if that makes sense. If you are trying to make a name for yourself as a good "bar band", then i would go with most of the songs being covers and maybe two or three originals. It also would depend on the venue. If you are playing at a bar that is known for having original bands, then go with the two or three covers. If it is just some random bar where you happen to be playing, then mostly covers. Also, it would be a good idea to ask the bar owner what they want. Underground music venues, parties, weddings, etc. are all different. Also, I know this from experience, bar owners typically care about one thing:selling alcohol. If you bring a crowd in and they drink a lot, then you will make a name for yourself with that bar almost regardless of what you play and you can use him/her as a reference to get other gigs. If you dont care what the venue owner thinks and are more interested in building a following, go with your originals. Hope that helps.
11/1/08 12:10 PM
DasBeaver
93 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

You should also remember people want to hear what they know and don't really give a shit about original music until you win them over. Depends on the venue too, some places like original music and some just want people do get drunk and dance.

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.