UnderGround Forums

PhotoshopGround >> just got a nikon d80, thoughts on 1st try?

10/31/08 9:28 PM
Ignore | Quote | Vote Down | Vote Up
TUFF-N-UFF
Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

TUFF-N-UFF FC, Media Relations

friends band from NY played here recently and i took pics w/my new camera. it is a NICE camera but I am learning slowly how to use it.

they are sort of an artsy band. reminds me of sigur ros but still unique.

http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq116/meanisminis/
11/3/08 11:01 PM
Boa03

Nice! I also just bought a D80 and really like it a lot...  Here is a link to a few pics...

www.flickr.com/photos/31974170@N08/
12/30/08 2:07 PM
solaris9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

The affects are cool if you like it that way...but if you want a more clear picture you'll need to adjust some settings and/or switch to a different lens.

In this setting you typically have little light to play with so you might consider turning up your ISO to something that's acceptable for you. The higher you go in the ISO the more light the camera will grab from the surrounding environment at the same time the camera will need less light because the details of the image it will capture will be lessened as well. Some people call this noise. The higher the ISO the more noise you get making the image less crystal clear.

If you can get a lens that can hold its aperture regardless of the focal length it's set at then you can set the aperture as wide open as possible, in other words, set your F stop to as low a number as possible. Some of these lenses can be expensive but you have an option of buying a fixed focal length lens with say a 1.8 fixed aperture capability. You can always move the aperture up but it will stay still if you choose. Arguably one of the best lenses Nikon makes is also one of it's cheapest. It's the 50mm 1.8 fixed focal length lens. So, it's not a zoom but it's the bomb. Trust me you need to get one.

So here you go:

1. Set your ISO to say 800 tops in a setting like this or it will be too grainy

2. If you can get the 50mm 1.8 lens set the camera to aperture priority and keep the aperture at 1.8. You might be able to get away with lowering your ISO to 400 at this point.

3. Shoot pics and have fun. But remember with fixed focal lengths there's pros and cons...you have to walk back and forth to get your desired distance cause it's not a zoom. Pros are the picture quality is unbeatable compared to zoom lenses. For example, probably 85% of professional portraits you see on the internet, posters, TV, etc...were all taken with fixed focal length lenses

Here's a few I took under a similar setting as your pics above with a Nikon D80 and 50mm 1.8 lens using the settings I mentioned above..

12/30/08 2:15 PM
solaris9
4 The total sum of your votes up and votes down Send Private Message Add Comment To Profile

Oh yeah...this camera is awesome for beginners...you'll have more than enough to play with for a while. Consider a fixed aperture zoom like a Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens or if you like more range and don't anticipate being in alot of poorly lit situations, then, get the ever popular 18-200 vibration reduction (Nikon's name for image stabilization) zoom lens. I have this lens and it's a good walk-around lens when you don't want to carry too much around. Although, you have to watch out for light fall off on the corners aka lens creep. This happens to 99% of zoom lenses. That's just how they work unless you want to spend a couple of grand on a high quality professional level zoom where this doesn't happen or at least not as much.

To counter that effect you can set your aperture higher to say F8 if you can get away with it. In low light this is obviously not advisable. But in well lit situations like the outdoors in the daytime, set your aperture higher as a default. This also gives you more detail in the picture (foreground and background).

Enjoy your new camera :)
2/3/09 9:57 PM
The Hook

Cool stuff!
2/22/09 9:45 PM
TUFF-N-UFF

TUFF-N-UFF FC, Media Relations
 My bad. I got a D70. Not sure why I posted D80..

Reply Post

You must log in to post a reply. Click here to login.